Reed question

Post all your vintage karting messages here in the General Discussion Forum

Moderator: Rob Voska

Brian Thomas
Vintage Karting items owned: 61 Simplex MKII , 61 Fox Mak , 61 Fox , 67 Lancer,74 Kobra, Gokart 400, Unknown
User Agreement: Yes

Reed question

Post by Brian Thomas » Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:49 pm

I want to do a 3 carb set up on a motor . 2 of the carbs would be on a GEM manifold with Go Power 6 petal reed asm. , the 3rd carb would be on a manifold that I would have to make . For ease of making and fitting the single carb manifold I thought of using a Go Power Westbend style 4 petal reed asm. , it would also stuff the existing opening better than a 6 petal reed .
My question is, how would the 2 different styles of reed asm, work together , would one open easier than the other or would one start to flow before the other .
What kind of problems would I run into , or should I just go with 3 Go Power reed asm.
Any thoughts on this would be great
Thanks
Brian
Brian , Dottie and Shadow Thomas
Black Dog Vintage Racing
http://www.blackdogvintageracing.com
If there isn't a Black Dog hair in the bag it's not a Black Dog product
"Black Dog" ask for it by name

jmendoza
Vintage Karting items owned: Dart A-Bone, HumBug, Macs and a Blender, Panthers.

Re: Reed question

Post by jmendoza » Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:55 pm

You can use any combination as the reeds will automatically open according to what the engine demands.

allan savins
Vintage Karting items owned: 1966 Tri-Mec MC91
1962 Ashford MC10
1966 Dart Chaparral

Post by allan savins » Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:31 pm

Hi,
A rough guide for estimating combined reed performance would be to compare the thickness of the reed material, assuming the material is similar.
Allan

Ernie Fisher
Vintage Karting items owned: 1958 Hovey Hawk
Konig Power

Post by Ernie Fisher » Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:42 pm

Brian,

What type of motor are you going to use these on? Why do you have to make a manifold? Many variations out there for almost any type of engine. I ran two Mac flatbacks on top and one on the bottom of my old C kart. All with GEM manifolds and 6 reed Go Power pyramids.

Ernie

Brian Thomas
Vintage Karting items owned: 61 Simplex MKII , 61 Fox Mak , 61 Fox , 67 Lancer,74 Kobra, Gokart 400, Unknown

Post by Brian Thomas » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:02 pm

Hi
There are pix of the motor in the TBO 07 pix, it is a Ramous (sp) block conversion for Power Products and it did not have the top manifold with it . A GEM dual carb manifold fits and stuffs the back of the block great . But the opening on the top is not so easy to fit a manifold on and I dont want to cut or grind it to fit one . A 4 petal GEM Westbend style reed cage will fit and stuff the opening very well if I make a manifold ( spacer ) about 1/2 " thick . I was thinking about progressive linkage also .
This is such an odd duck and I really dont want to hack it up . It was made for carbs on top and back so that is the way I want to run it .
Brian
Brian , Dottie and Shadow Thomas
Black Dog Vintage Racing
http://www.blackdogvintageracing.com
If there isn't a Black Dog hair in the bag it's not a Black Dog product
"Black Dog" ask for it by name