go kart shipping

Post all your vintage karting messages here in the General Discussion Forum

Moderator: Rob Voska

Sam Polito
Vintage Karting items owned: Rupp Chaparral w/dual Mc 91-B1's
User Agreement: Yes

go kart shipping

Post by Sam Polito » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:36 am

I need to get a kart to Texas from New York. Can any of you members share your shipping experiences or references I can contact.
Thanks,
Sam

Rob Voska

Re: go kart shipping

Post by Rob Voska » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:12 pm

Forward air motorcycle shipping container. Buy new tie down straps & combination locks. You deliver it & they pick it up safe & secure. I welded D rings to all 4 wheel nuts & screwed them on for a great contact point for the hold down strap.

bill mack
Vintage Karting items owned: many

Post by bill mack » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:12 pm

Although I would not use this for a super nice kart,greyhound buses are a low price alternative.I have had success there.( I hope I don't jinx myself though.
Bill Mac

Rob Voska

Post by Rob Voska » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:58 am

Has to much damage from Greyhound. NO WAY !

Russ Smith
Vintage Karting items owned: 59 BugWasp; 60 GoKart800; Simplex: 60 MKII, 62 MKVI; 69 BugStinger; 67 LilIndian Minibike.

Post by Russ Smith » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:46 am

When I've shipped with Forward Air, I made a sturdy crate using a pallet, a few 2X4's (that I ripped in half), and some OSB.

kevin brown
Vintage Karting items owned: 64 Dart Kart
61 GK 800

Post by kevin brown » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:30 am

Hi Sam,
Used Busfreighter last summer with great results. They are a service that works with Greyhound. The advantage is they will pick up the kart at your location and take it to Greyhound. They will also pick it up at Greyhound and deliver it . I have read of some bad experiences with Greyhound but luckily I had a good one.

Bad things, Strict weight limitation. Kart was packed well cardboard and shrinkwrap, tires and wheels off, engine and everything in stowed in ONE package. Picked up but then refused by Greyhound for being over the limit. Luckliy the seller was able to repack into two packages.

Good, Cost was less than $200 , with pickup in Orlando Fla. and drop off to bus terminal in south NJ.
I think other factors that where in my favor, the bus run was probably direct ( no loading and transfering to another bus) and I was able to pick it up at the terminal within a half hour of being called.

I recall recently that a guy crated a kart that he sold on Ebay and used a Common Carrier Trucking outfit with nightmare results. So you never know.

For what it's worth that's my story. Good Luck
Kevin