Need some Chaparral help

Post all your vintage karting messages here in the General Discussion Forum

Moderator: Rob Voska

Bill Legere
Vintage Karting items owned: 68 Rupp
User Agreement: Yes

Need some Chaparral help

Post by Bill Legere » Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:33 pm

Hi, I have started to restore an early Rupp Chaparral Kart. I need to replace the aluminum floor pan that is riveted to the tubular frame, but I am not sure what I am up against. What concerns me is removing the rivets. Do I drill? grind? What happens to the bits in the tube? Any tricks to getting them out? The existing pan is pretty beat up. I think it may have been replaced at one time as it seems to be a rather light gauge? What gauge should the Aluminum be? Any information,suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Bill

Dan Flanders
Vintage Karting items owned: Pimped out Yerf-Dog with 22" spinners

Re: Need some Chaparral help

Post by Dan Flanders » Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:31 am

Hi Bill-
Easiest thing to do is drill the heads out taking special care not to wallow out the holes. No way to get them out of the frame unless you cut it :( so most of the old karts can realistically be called rattle traps :D
Can't speak to the exact gauge of the floor pan, but I am sure someone will chime in.

Rob Voska

Post by Rob Voska » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:20 am

You can get all the rivets to one area of the tube & squirt some silicone inside the tube to glue the rivits inside the frame tube so they don't rattle.

ted johnson

Post by ted johnson » Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:48 am

Lotta steel pans are 18 Ga. (.0478), and most aluminum pans I see are 16 Ga. (.0508). Anything thinner is pretty fragile for a daily runner; thicker is a bit of extra weight and less flexible. I sure like Rob's silicone idea! Hope this helps. TJ

Bill Legere
Vintage Karting items owned: 68 Rupp

Post by Bill Legere » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:08 pm

ted johnson wrote:Lotta steel pans are 18 Ga. (.0478), and most aluminum pans I see are 16 Ga. (.0508). Anything thinner is pretty fragile for a daily runner; thicker is a bit of extra weight and less flexible. I sure like Rob's silicone idea! Hope this helps. TJ
Thanks everyone for all the great information and advice. Bill