Post all your vintage karting messages here in the General Discussion Forum

Moderator: Rob Voska

Tom Dandes
Vintage Karting items owned: Currently: Rupp Dart
Past: Bug sprinter, and Fox
User Agreement: Yes

Need Carb and intake info

Post by Tom Dandes » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:32 am

I recently was able to get a 49 m/c engine in good shape but minus intake/reeds and carb. Since my last Kart was in 1976 and all my knowledge for mac's was dumped years ago I'm lost..........

So the question is what do I need to fill the hole and get fuel to this thing? And the even bigger question is where do I get it?

thanks,

Tom

steveohara
Vintage Karting items owned: 1969 Bug Sprint Mc 91B1
1965 Dart Gran Prix twin Mc100s
1963 Bug Scorpion ESll Mc45

Re: Need Carb and intake info

Post by steveohara » Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:01 am

Tom,

There are countless options readily available in the way of intake manifolds, reeds and carbs on ebay all the time. To give good suggestions on what to look for it would help to know what you plan to use the engine for?
If it is to be used on a vintage kart and you plan to race it with the organizations that have a dedicated Mc 49 class you will want to limit your choices to those parts that are "legal" under the rules. In addition, the choice of carb size should be made with consideration to the type of clutch and exhaust you will be using.
Big carbs and low engagement speed clutches are not a good combination. If using a dry clutch that hooks up at low rpm such as a Horstman Rev Grip you would want to keep the carb bore size on the small end of the range so it will pull hard from low speed.
Tell us how you plan to use it and you'll get some good suggestions.
Steve O'Hara

Tom Dandes
Vintage Karting items owned: Currently: Rupp Dart
Past: Bug sprinter, and Fox
User Agreement: Yes

Post by Tom Dandes » Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:25 pm

You are right so I will explain myself better.

I have found an old dart that needs a lot of work. I have been able to pickup two identical 49 m/c engines that are in good shape. Currently I plan on only running one.

Yes, when done building I would like to make some of the events and run legal in the 49 class.

The only carbs I have are two Tillotson hl-63f's. Suggestions?

I have no clutch yet or exhaust. Suggestions?

The reed plate I have is the stock flat plate.

It's been a long time since I have had anything to do with karts so your help on what to do to make this legal and work are appreciated.

Ernie Shores
Vintage Karting items owned: Lots of Fox Karts!!!

Post by Ernie Shores » Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:49 pm

Tom:
If Rob won't shoot me, I would suggest that you go to the VKA web site and look in the members area, it will give you guidelines for the different classes that are run at vintage events. You will also see where the next event is and maybe you could attend. You will get lots of help for your questions and you may even find the parts you need to get your 49's running again.

Ernie