Post all your vintage karting messages here in the General Discussion Forum

Moderator: Rob Voska

Tom Dandes
Vintage Karting items owned: Currently: Rupp Dart
Past: Bug sprinter, and Fox
User Agreement: Yes

Bendix brake linning

Post by Tom Dandes » Thu May 24, 2012 1:02 pm

This may have been posted before but I'm unable to find anything. I need to reline a set of 6" bendix brake shoes for the dart I'm trying to bring back from the grave.

Question is: If you have done this where did you get your linnings and what material did you use?

Thanks,

Tom

Rob Voska

Re: Bendix brake linning

Post by Rob Voska » Thu May 24, 2012 10:41 pm

Try a NAPA or old clutch or brake shop. I remember someone posting they use an epoxy now but will rivet them for extra security.

david a luciani
Vintage Karting items owned: gk800 -r1 -gilson excalibar -rupp concept dual,concept,Cheetah ll, panther -Bug

Post by david a luciani » Thu May 24, 2012 11:00 pm

i went to mccmastercarr online catalog and looked up brake and clutch material.
picked out lining that was fairly hard rated and could be bought in 2" by what ever length.
stuff i got was woven green colored material alot like the oldest brake linings.
anyway it's flexable so i cut it to fit with a saw and drilled rivit holes through.
sears sell a twist drill bit that is stepped almost flat , i used that for the countersink.
i found another site selling old brass brake rivits and rivited the brake pads on work fine.
if i use epoxy i just line the drum inside with tape
clamp shoe and new lining inside till dry so it follows drum curve.
hope this helps
dave

b.t.w. this is what i did if you chose to copy me and mess up don't be suing me later!!! :D

Tom Dandes
Vintage Karting items owned: Currently: Rupp Dart
Past: Bug sprinter, and Fox

Post by Tom Dandes » Fri May 25, 2012 8:43 am

Thanks guys for the quick response. I'll take a look this weekend and see what Napa and McMasters has available.

And I also promise not to sue if I plow into the back of my shop if the brakes fail. Now my wife may be a different story.....

Rob Voska

Post by Rob Voska » Fri May 25, 2012 9:05 am

There is a machine that "grinds" the linings to the ID of the drum.... if you use stiff linings. If you use what Dave said you shoudl be OK as it forms easier.

One trick I use is to get a helper to put very light pressure on the brake & put sandpaper inside the drum & sand the shoe to fit. They never seem to be square or round.

Bill Johnson

Post by Bill Johnson » Fri May 25, 2012 11:16 am

You can buy replacements from Comet Kart.

http://www.cometkartsales.com/store/bra ... 0shoes.jpg
MacDaddy