Simplex Challenger?

Post all your vintage karting messages here in the General Discussion Forum

Moderator: Rob Voska

Matthew Marwitz
Vintage Karting items owned: 1960 Simplex
User Agreement: Yes

Simplex Challenger?

Post by Matthew Marwitz » Wed May 16, 2012 6:23 pm

HI, I'm new to this forum and just need a few questions answered about this Simplex Go Kart I have. I know it is a Simplex but what year was it made and model? Is something like this worth restoring? I know it has all the original stickers, rims, tires, steering wheel, gas tank and seat..The paint is pretty beat up. Is there a market out for these little go karts and what is something like this worth? I think it would be fun to hold on to the Kart and take it shows fully restored.. But I just don't have the time or the funds to take on a project this big. Here is a couple of pics I shot of it today..

Thanks
Attachments
Simplex Go kart 009A.JPG
(54.38 KiB) Downloaded 737 times
Simplex Go kart 008A.JPG
(45.24 KiB) Downloaded 737 times
Simplex Go kart 006A.JPG
(69.82 KiB) Downloaded 737 times
Simplex Go kart 005A.JPG
(112.23 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Simplex Go kart 004A.JPG
(49.34 KiB) Downloaded 737 times

david a luciani
Vintage Karting items owned: gk800 -r1 -gilson excalibar -rupp concept dual,concept,Cheetah ll, panther -Bug

Re: Simplex Challenger?

Post by david a luciani » Wed May 16, 2012 6:36 pm

that is in extremely nice original condition.
the tank with sticker is there which is a plus.
no gold mine but easily worth a few bucks.

the simplex karts are usually very heavy and slow but there are guys that love then anyway.
i've bought a few in rough shape between $50.00-$175.00
if the rims are all perfect you may get as much as 300-500 for that one as is
keep in mind there aren't alot of vintage kart guys and not everybody likes the older stuff.

if you know nothing about the kart your best bet is to leave it alone and sell as is.
it has what looks like original paint and lots of guys prefer that to restored.
trying to "clean it up to add value " would be a disastor and actually make it less desirable to some guys.
we have an unrestored class which i'd say your kart with engine added could easily be entered in with a good chance of placing.

dave

Matthew Marwitz

Post by Matthew Marwitz » Wed May 16, 2012 6:45 pm

Thanks..What kind of motor could i put on this kart. I'm guessing a two stroke would work on it..The rims and tires are in decent shape..There is a little paint coming off but they are not to bad..

Matt

david a luciani
Vintage Karting items owned: gk800 -r1 -gilson excalibar -rupp concept dual,concept,Cheetah ll, panther -Bug

Post by david a luciani » Wed May 16, 2012 7:36 pm

glad to hear you might keep it.
any vintage two stroke only.
the weren't 4 stroke kart as far as i know.

west bend 580 mcculloch mc5 or mc6 power product motors all would be a good fit.
they aren't exactly FAST but they are a blast to drive.
what i prefer with a kart like that is to tear it down carefully and replace all the hidden stuff like bearings as needed.
polish up the chrome as best you can and wash up the upholstorey.
set a good engine on it and drive.
if you're planning on going to events safety wiring all the steering and brake parts is required.
dave

Matthew Marwitz

Post by Matthew Marwitz » Wed May 16, 2012 8:02 pm

So, pretty much leave the paint as is, give it a good cleaning, check the bearings, and put a motor in it. Should I replace the tires for it? And is there any events out in Indiana or Illinois I can attend..I'm about 25 minutes south of Chicago..

Bob Towarnicki
Vintage Karting items owned: 65 Alley Kat Mc91
Narrow Hoop A Bone Mc91B
Various restoration projects

Post by Bob Towarnicki » Wed May 16, 2012 9:40 pm

Matthew,
Welcome to vintage karting. I got into it about 5 years ago and my first event was The Big One hosted by the same people that host this site - Bob & Rob. Going to The Big One gives you plenty of time to get your kart ready since it is held Labor Day weekend in Fremont Ohio which is about a 4 hour drive for you. Look at the pictures on this site of the many years they have run the event. No racing, just two days of all the seat time your a_s can stand and lots of comaraderie. My son and I wore out the old original tires on our kart the first day since they were pretty old and dry. I would recommend new tires and tubes for your kart. Cheng Shins are cheap and work very well. You will find comparable sizes to the originals you have. That Kart is begging for a West Bend 580. The people on this site will offer a lot of help and support to guide you through your freshening of your kart. If you look through the pictures of past events you will see at least one other Simplex with dual West Bends. I remember one year they gave away a beautifully restored Simplex at the banquet. Welcome.
Bob

Matthew Marwitz

Post by Matthew Marwitz » Thu May 17, 2012 7:18 am

Would I be able to put a duel west bend motors on this kart?

Rob Voska

Post by Rob Voska » Thu May 17, 2012 9:40 am

No. Your rear axle has the single mount for a side plate style engien mount to be bolted to. The axle assembly is reversable so you can mount the engine on either side. I have one of this model.

Jeff Campbell
Site Admin
Vintage Karting items owned: 1961 Fox Go-Boy MC20's
Robron Chaparral dual MC101
Margay Cheetah MKIII

Post by Jeff Campbell » Mon May 21, 2012 7:05 am

Matt,
FYI - check out the event schedule from this forum to see what is available...

Jeff

Andy Symons
Vintage Karting items owned: 1961 A-runner, 63 Dart, 59? Percival, ?? Fantic Broncco, 610/820 WB, Mac92

Post by Andy Symons » Mon May 21, 2012 7:32 pm

Hi Matt,

I agree with Bob T., I would definitely put new tires/tubes on it before I run it. They aren't expensive. As far as a West Bend 580 or 700, I think it would be a great choice. Bear in mind that the more common WB of this vintage will be a left hand engine and will require you switch the axle over. Right hand engines exist and LH ones can be turned into RH ones, but it takes a little know how and some parts - easier to switch the kart.

If you're new to vintage karting, I'd leave dual engines alone for now. It adds considerably to the effort involved in getting on the track.
Andy Symons