What do you use to replace Mac condensers?

Post all your vintage karting messages here in the General Discussion Forum

Moderator: Rob Voska

Terry Sullivan
Vintage Karting items owned: 4 Bugs, including the Wasp bought by my Dad in 1959. Many Clintons and a few Macs
User Agreement: Yes

Post by Terry Sullivan » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:29 am

I use the Mallory 400 for my MC-10 engines, but they don't fit well for MC-6, etc.

Terry

ted johnson

Re: What do you use to replace Mac condensers?

Post by ted johnson » Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:33 am

Terry, Call Terry Ives. (916)201-7707 He has the P/N's for Mallory for 101's and Mc7 thru 93. I put them in Charlie's twin Mc7's, and there's one in my 101. They work great. Ted

Terry Sullivan
Vintage Karting items owned: 4 Bugs, including the Wasp bought by my Dad in 1959. Many Clintons and a few Macs
User Agreement: Yes

Post by Terry Sullivan » Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:37 am

Thanks Ted!
Mallory web site is no help at all.

Terry

Butch Kavanagh

Post by Butch Kavanagh » Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:04 pm

the 92 i used at b-ville this past march was the mallory 400 that i purchased from advanced auto (11.95). the length of the condensor overlaps the mag plate bolts. i use 'button(allen)' head bolts. this way the condensor lays flat on the mag plate. pay attn to the open clip that attaches to the breaker block. maybe slightly squeeze the clip together. also the wire is longer so one must be carefull that it doesn't rub against the inside of flywheel. my son has used the mallory as also rick chapman (both ohio guys) with no probs

Butch Kavanagh

Post by Butch Kavanagh » Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:58 pm

back from peeling potatoes (its easter), the button head screws can be purchased at hardware stores. you may have to cut to length. because of the width of the head, no washer is required and that is nice inside the breaker box as sometimes a washer 'lays' against the points bracket. i haven't worked on macs in years as one could tell on how poor i ran at b-ville but we also used these button heads on the 100cc 'super' and silver engines to avoid the flywheel rubbing the allen head bolts. take your time with torque wrench as allen socket is skinney

ted johnson

Post by ted johnson » Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:05 pm

Watch your torque values with button heads. The tensile strength of most black oxide socket heads is 180 KSI, whereas the strength of most black oxide button heads is 144 KSI. Don't overtorque! TJ