best two cycle oil for running 580 westbend

Post all your vintage karting messages here in the General Discussion Forum

Moderator: Rob Voska

Tom Luttenbacher
Vintage Karting items owned: Dart A Bone, Neal, LeeKart, Lancer, GoKart 800's, Simplex, Blitz.
User Agreement: Yes

Re: best two cycle oil for running 580 westbend

Post by Tom Luttenbacher » Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:55 pm

Since "white gas' and "coleman fuel" were mentioned I thought I'd ad something. When a teen we had a Standard Oil gas station in my town, they sold regular and premium at the pump islands but off by the side of the station stood a pump marked "White Gas". Now I'm pretty sure guys didn't come there to buy fuel for their coleman lanterns so what vehicle did use it? Imports from Europe/England maybe. Later in life when this topic came up now and then someone said that was in fact the unleaded gas we now use. Any one care to comment? BTW we bought our coleman gas at the hardware in 1 gallon cans. Thanks. Tom

Bill Hermsted
Vintage Karting items owned: 3 AH58's and 1 MC45

Post by Bill Hermsted » Wed May 02, 2012 11:42 am

Tom- I remember the Mobil station out East had white gas in a 275 out back, decades ago. That was the only gas my dad would use in his outboard. Remember- they were all two strokes at the time, except for a few Homelites and Lausons. He might have been ahead of his time.
I'm sure many other boaters used it, too.
Bill

Willie Yaw
Vintage Karting items owned: 1959 Bug

Post by Willie Yaw » Wed May 02, 2012 5:08 pm

Here's something I found while doing a search on white gas, for what it's worth.
[link2]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_gas[/link2]
White gas is a common name for two flammable substances. In its most common modern usage, it is used as a generic name for camp stove and lantern fuel, usually naphtha.[1]

White gasoline, also called white gas, can also be a name for pure gasoline, without additives. This was commonly used when leaded gasoline was the norm, to prevent fouling in situations where the properties of the tetraethyl lead additive were not required.[2]
So it would seem there were 2 distantly different fuels that went by the name white gas.

Personally I wouldn't put gasoline in my camping gear, and I sure as heck ain't going to run naphtha in my vintage engines.

Rob Voska

Post by Rob Voska » Wed May 02, 2012 6:16 pm

I have a guy that only runs once in a while. PP58 with twin gas carbs. Colman fuel is all he runs & it starts & runs well between sitting for long periods. 2 cycle engines were designed to run on very low octane fuels. That's what lead to a squish band head design. Trapped gasses in the squish area were cooled by piston & head & would not pre-ignite. Now I'm NOT talking WOT racing applications.