best two cycle oil for running 580 westbend

Post all your vintage karting messages here in the General Discussion Forum

Moderator: Rob Voska

Brian Thomas
Vintage Karting items owned: 61 Simplex MKII , 61 Fox Mak , 61 Fox , 67 Lancer,74 Kobra, Gokart 400, Unknown
User Agreement: Yes

Re: best two cycle oil for running 580 westbend

Post by Brian Thomas » Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:10 pm

We are running Klotz KL100 @ 12 to 1 with alky and about 8 to 1 with flush gas . We had to finally service the AH58's on the Simplex this winter. One of the stock base gaskets blew out , so I figured that I should take a look at them both and put in the aluminum base gasket replacements . In the 5 years that they have been run both motors were clean inside and showed little wear . Rings, gaskets,seals and lighten the flywheels and they are back on the kart .

Brian
Brian , Dottie and Shadow Thomas
Black Dog Vintage Racing
http://www.blackdogvintageracing.com
If there isn't a Black Dog hair in the bag it's not a Black Dog product
"Black Dog" ask for it by name

Rick Chapman
Vintage Karting items owned: 1961 Bantam B-Bomb, 77' Hornet Enduro, 79' Hornet Wishbone Sprint, 1962 Blitz F-1000

Post by Rick Chapman » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:06 am

Boy, I hate to be the odd man out. But, I run 6 oz pure synthetic oil to a gallon of Shell/Sunoco gas in my enduros. That is in both Piston Port and Reed Valve engines...... I turn 14,500 rpm's and to date I have had no lube issues. And I have run this combo for years. When I run alky, I even run less synthetic oil than I do in gas. I guess my point is, everyone has a different preference for oils and find one you trust and use it.
I have run Zoomie NC and Alky oils for 25 years and have NEVER had a problem.
Last year we had to run Redline at a WKA event and lost the botom end out of a Yamaha. That is the first bottom end I EVER lost.... Won't see Redline in my stuff......
I Never Thought I'd Be Vintage !!

VirgLove

Post by VirgLove » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:53 am

It's a 580... It was a Lawn Mower Engine... I'd think LawnBoy oil would do the trick...

Tom Smith
Vintage Karting items owned: 1960/61 Go Kart 800 Konig FA
1961 Max-Torque Special triple
1962 Max-Torque Special dual

Post by Tom Smith » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:03 pm

Quote from West Bend master service manual, section five, page 1.
In a separate, clean container, thoroughly mix three-fourths (3/4) pint of SAE 30 or 40 oil with each gallon of gasoline.
Use a regular grade of gasoline. High test ethyl gasoline is not recommended. Use any good quality outboard,
2 cycle, or equivalent motor oil.

ted johnson

Post by ted johnson » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:12 pm

So I switched back to gasoline and Klotz R-50 to get away from the hassle of purging. I haven't run gas in almost 50 years. Almost all gas in our area is "ethanol enriched". Any issues there? I don't think I can find non-ethanol gas within 60 miles of here. Ted

Bob Towarnicki
Vintage Karting items owned: 65 Alley Kat Mc91
Narrow Hoop A Bone Mc91B
Various restoration projects

Post by Bob Towarnicki » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:32 pm

Ted,
I have been running "premium" pump gas between 92 -94 octane with 10% ethanol for 5 years in my Mc 91 with no problems. I use Red Line Kart Oil at a 16/1 ratio and it burns clean and I see no substantial wear with the type of driving we do. The engine has absolutely no carbon build up. If my memory serves me correctly, back in the day when the kart engine manuals we are reading were written, premium gas was 100+ octane and regular was 92, hence I choose today's premium. In fact, back in the day, I ran AMOCO premium white gas since it was the only gas I had access to that was lead free.
Bob

Rob Voska

Post by Rob Voska » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:59 pm

They make both leaded & unleaded racing gas or marine gas.. Also you can use "white gas" better known as Coleman Lantern fuel.

ted johnson

Post by ted johnson » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:05 pm

We always used white Gulf Marine gas before we switched to alky in '62. We used it in the shop to clean parts, also. It's a little harder to find these days, especially around the small town where we live. Coleman is great, but pretty pricey. We could use racing gas, but there's none closer than Phoenix, 60+ miles away. TJ

Terry Bentley
Vintage Karting items owned: Kavalla Rupp Hornet Bug Margay Cates, Ala Kart

Post by Terry Bentley » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:59 am

Coleman fuel or white gas is basically naptha with about 50 octane rating. I seriously doubt it will run very well in a kart engine.

Scott Kneisel
Vintage Karting items owned: '63 Rupp Grand Prix, 66 Rupp Chappy, Mc6's, Mc8, Mc10's, Mc20's
Lotsa' other Macs

Post by Scott Kneisel » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:22 pm

The first year I got back into karting I ran Klotz Super Techniplate and it turned my piston sidewalls black and left carbon deposits on piston and head. I assume it was the 20% castor in that Klotz.
I switched to Redline 2 cycle Racing oil at 16:1 and also using Klotz R-50 at 16:1 and can't really see any difference. Almost no deposits at all. I am tending toward the Klotz R-50 because it is almost half the price as the Redline.

For years now I have always used 92/93 octane pump gas with 10% ethanol and have had no carb problems and no corrosion problems inside the engines. If they are going to sit over the winter or for more than a few months I fog them with pure Marvel Mystery oil in a spray bottle until the gas runs dry. Keeps the innerds real nice.