McCulloch kart handling?

Post all your vintage karting messages here in the General Discussion Forum

Moderator: Rob Voska

philrock
Vintage Karting items owned: Mc101 engines
1977 Hartman Blue Streak

McCulloch kart handling?

Post by philrock » Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:40 pm

A friend has offered to sell me a McCulloch kart frame (possibly an R-1), for a great price. The axle/engine assembly mounts to the frame rails with rubber lined steel clamps. What is the reputation of this kart in terms of handling?

Phil Rockwell

kevin brown
Vintage Karting items owned: 64 Dart Kart
61 GK 800
User Agreement: Yes

Re: McCulloch kart handling?

Post by kevin brown » Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:33 pm

Don Knots. Aka Barney Fife gives it a thumbs up. Search Don Knots on this site for a fun video
Kevin

Scott Kneisel
Vintage Karting items owned: '63 Rupp Grand Prix, 66 Rupp Chappy, Mc6's, Mc8, Mc10's, Mc20's
Lotsa' other Macs

Post by Scott Kneisel » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:30 pm

May 1961 issue of Karting World tested the new R1 kart and were very favorable regarding its quality as well as it's handling. I recently got this issue and quite frankly was surprised at the positive write up considering the bad rep this kart has for poor handling and bad under steer. Perhaps the competition in 1961 were not all that great wheras the later karts with flexible frames handle better than the stiff karts of the 50's and early 60's.

On the other side of the coin, the R1 that I restored and ran for 3 seasons on various tracks was a nice handling kart in my opinion. It was an enjoyable kart to drive both with a single or dual engine. Then again I don't drive them as hard as I did as a kid but for me at this point in my life it was definitely fun to drive.

Thats my 2 cents from my experience.

Good luck,
Scott

Dick Teal
Vintage Karting items owned: 1959 Mak-Kart, 1960Fox 60L, 1961 Fox (2), 1962 Fox, 1963 Fox, 1964 Fox, Margay New Breed

Post by Dick Teal » Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:55 am

I bought one new back then and put dual Mc 20 engines on it. I sold it within three weeks because it handled sooo bad. In 1961 I also had the Fox swing mount 1962 model and it was and still is fantastic but everyone knows that I'm partial to Fox karts.

I know a lot more today than back then and it could probably be made to handle with the right tires and tread width.

Dick Teal