Horstman Rev-Grip Help/Trade

Post all your vintage karting messages here in the General Discussion Forum

Moderator: Rob Voska

Terry Armstrong
Vintage Karting items owned: (2) 63 Bug Wasps, Mc9 & West Bend 500 . 72 Bug Stinger, Mc49E.
User Agreement: Yes

Horstman Rev-Grip Help/Trade

Post by Terry Armstrong » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:27 pm

I'm trying get a Mac Super 250 saw engine converted for my son's kart in time for Barnesville in 3 weeks. I have a Horstman Rev-Grip 9 tooth clutch that I'm trying to fit and I'm having some problems. I believe the clutch is an Inboard type and I need an Outboard to fit with the GEM mount that I'm using. With the drum installed inboard, there is not enough room for the chain to clear the mounting bolts.

Does anyone know if the clutch drum is the same for the inboard and outboard Rev-Grip clutches? If so, I would only need to "swap" the clutch internals for an outboard type. I will also need a "nut" for an outboard clutch.

See pictures below.

I appreciate any info.

Thanks,

Terry
Attachments
100_0758.JPG
(208.91 KiB) Not downloaded yet
100_0757.JPG
(197.83 KiB) Not downloaded yet
100_0754.JPG
(239.68 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Rob Voska

Re: Horstman Rev-Grip Help/Trade

Post by Rob Voska » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:19 pm

I think all you need is a clutch nut & maybe a few spacers. Drums are the same, hubs are pretty much the same (some have a small recess). Be sure to lap in with valve lapping compound. All you need is a nut that is 9/16 OD for the drum to ride on that will hold the hub to the crank & the drum will ride on the outside of the nut & a spacer to take up any extra endplay. Sorry I don't remember what nut you need. Burco for an outboard comes to mind but I forget.

I prefer to set my clutches up that way so I don't have to worry about the thin wall nut breaking off & having to grind everything to get it off anyhow. Someone was making them a while back.... do you need Right Hand threads or Left Hand threads?

George Sellon

Post by George Sellon » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:18 pm

Terry, I'm not sure about the early Rev-Grip but all the ones I have there is a difference in the spiders inboard to outboard. The spider in your picture is inboard. The drums are interchangeable but use a different nut.

I assume you have a tapered crank, left or right hand? PM me your address and thread direction and I'll send you a complete clutch with nut and spacer. I'll send it when I get home from work Thursday so you will have it in time for Barnesville. You can use it then send it back with Dick Teal or we could talk about a price. In any event that would get you guys going.

G
kart54.com

VirgLove

Post by VirgLove » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:41 am

If I could highjack this stream, I also have a Horstman Revgrip question. It appears to me they are directional. Did they make reverse rotation hubs for West Bends and Komets? The way the tines are angled it appears they would only work properly in one direction of rotation.

Terry Armstrong
Vintage Karting items owned: (2) 63 Bug Wasps, Mc9 & West Bend 500 . 72 Bug Stinger, Mc49E.
User Agreement: Yes

Post by Terry Armstrong » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:42 pm

Virg,

I can't answer whether they made a different hub for Komets and West Bends, but everyone is saying that I have an inboard hub/spider or whatever you want to call it.

According to Louie Figgone, the hub/spider is the only difference between an Inboard and Outboard clutch (NOT COUNTING THE NUT). I got in touch with Terry Ives to see if he had an "outboard" hub and unfortunately he is out of them. However, he said that he has used an "Inboard" hub successfully as an outboard clutch.........with a Special nut that he has made in the past. So I still have the dilemma of whether to send him my entire clutch and have him make a Special nut or go another route......only 20 days to Barnesville!

Maybe someone else can chime in about West Bend's & Komets using Rev-Grips

Terry

Rob Voska

Post by Rob Voska » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:49 pm

Yes they made them for both RH & LH engines. I don't know if htey were dry they might have been the oil conversion. What Terry told you about the nut is what I told you. It's a great setup.