Moderator: Rob Voska

Ken Bohannon
Vintage Karting items owned: 1966 Boone Enduro
72 Blackhawk Poison Arrow MkVI
60 Gilson Excalibur Jr
User Agreement: Yes

Aluminum Axle

Post by Ken Bohannon » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:27 pm

I have a go power wheel that is just not giving it up after a month of Kroil marinate. Destroying the wheel is not a option, so I need a replacement 1" aluminum axle. Goofy size too, 34.5" with a 2-3/16 step to 3/4. Anybody know who could help fab one? Thanks, Ken

ted johnson

Re: Aluminum Axle

Post by ted johnson » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:02 am

Hey, Ken. If you find someone who can fab one from 7075 stock with full length keyways, 36" OAL with standard 2" steps, for a reasonable price, let me know! Ted

Rick Chapman
Vintage Karting items owned: 1961 Bantam B-Bomb, 77' Hornet Enduro, 79' Hornet Wishbone Sprint, 1962 Blitz F-1000

Post by Rick Chapman » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:48 am

Hey guys.
There is a guy in Ohio who makes custom axles.
His name is Don Axe and his number is 419.733.4221
Tell him Rick gave you his number.
He has an OD grinder and makes 1" and 1 1/4" axles and can get them plated...
He'd be the one to call..
Rick
I Never Thought I'd Be Vintage !!

ted johnson

Post by ted johnson » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:54 pm

Rick, I thank you for the information! I will call him. I just took the Nike chassis to the upholstery shop. I'd like to keep the kart as light as I can, with only a single 100cc engine pushing my big hiney! TJ

Rick Chapman
Vintage Karting items owned: 1961 Bantam B-Bomb, 77' Hornet Enduro, 79' Hornet Wishbone Sprint, 1962 Blitz F-1000

Post by Rick Chapman » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:25 pm

OOOOOPS..
I just reread your Blog and I hope he can do an aluminum axle..
Don is a great guy, he runs with us on the enduro tracks..
Hope he can help you
Rick
I Never Thought I'd Be Vintage !!

Dominic Salvato
Vintage Karting items owned: Caretta's, Darts, Lancers, Bug, Cates, Customs, Margay

Post by Dominic Salvato » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:40 pm

Stock Caretta aluminum axles are 35" long.

Chris Marchand
Vintage Karting items owned: to daggone many

Post by Chris Marchand » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:53 pm

Ted, Contact Mike Anderson if you can t find what you want. He may have a source for Alum axles near INDY. Chris

ted johnson

Post by ted johnson » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:01 pm

Thanks, Chris. Haven't talked with Mike in a while. It'd be good to hear his voice! Ted

Ken Bohannon
Vintage Karting items owned: 1966 Boone Enduro
72 Blackhawk Poison Arrow MkVI
60 Gilson Excalibur Jr

Post by Ken Bohannon » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:12 pm

Rick, Thank you for the referral. Don is a great guy and can fab a aluminum one for me. Excellent! TJ, He is doing mine out of 6061, perhaps he could source 7075 stock for you. Best, Ken

steveohara
Vintage Karting items owned: 1969 Bug Sprint Mc 91B1
1965 Dart Gran Prix twin Mc100s
1963 Bug Scorpion ESll Mc45

Post by steveohara » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:04 pm

I'm assuming the axle is stuck in the wheel? A couple suggestions...
Remove the bolts that hold the wheel together and break the beads of the tire on both sides to get the tire loose on the wheel. Then try to rotate the two wheel halves in opposite directions to see if you can get the outer half to come loose. The outer half is usually not stuck to the axle like the inner section with the key.
If you can get the outer half off you can remove the tire and then set the remaining half with the axle in a bucket with some kind of lubricant/penetrant to let it soak for a while and see if it will free up.
If it doesn't, find a source with a hydralulic press and push it out. To protect the wheel you will need to have a cylindrical sleeve that will slide over the axle to butt up against the inboard side of the wheel to accept the load so the force is not putting pressure on the outer part of the wheel. Many of the older kart wheels were made of an alloy with a steel insert for the section where the key is broached and the support sleeve should be made to mate up with the insert otherwise the press may shove the axle and the insert out of the wheel.
If you don't have access to a sleeve you can make a crude substitute with a stack of thick washers with an I.D. of just over 1".... Home Depot or other places have them. Stack enough to make the rim sit up off the press bridge and support the stack of washers underneath with a flat plate or plates and use the plunger on the press to push down on the threaded section of the axle sticking out.
Should come apart without damaging either the axle or the rim half.
BTW.... if you plan to race the kart when the restoration is complete I would recommend ditching the aluminum axle and using a steel replacement. The aluminum is too soft to handle well... especially for "vintage" drivers that tend to be a bit heavier than they were 40 years ago :shock:
Good luck!
Steve O'Hara