Moderator: Rob Voska

Bob Towarnicki
Vintage Karting items owned: 65 Alley Kat Mc91
Narrow Hoop A Bone Mc91B
Various restoration projects
User Agreement: Yes

Looking for Margay Gearbox education

Post by Bob Towarnicki » Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:25 pm

I have searched all the material I can find about the Margay Safari Gearbox and wanted to confirm my understanding. It appears that the box came as a "Sprint" model and also a "Enduro" model. The difference being the intermediate gear and the output gear in the box are different. I believe the Sprint had a 20 tooth intermediate gear and an 80 tooth output gear and that the "Change Gear Sets" would deliver the ratio stamped on them when used with the 20/80 internal gear set. If used in a Enduro model the "Change Gears" would actually deliver a higher drive ratio (Ie: the 4.0 "Change Gears" would actually provide a 3.0 drive ratio). I haven't figured out the gears internal to the Enduro Gearbox. Finally I think they had a third gear set for indoor tracks that lowered the final drive ratio from the "Sprint" setup. I believe the Change Gears will work with all 3 internal gear sets. Do I have this right? Does anyone know the tooth counts for the Enduro Box and the Indoor Track setup? Also, I believe Margay published a chart that provided the ratio conversion for all 3 boxes. Can anyone provide a copy or a link to it? Thanks in advance for your help.

Dominic Salvato
Vintage Karting items owned: Caretta's, Darts, Lancers, Bug, Cates, Customs, Margay

Re: Looking for Margay Gearbox education

Post by Dominic Salvato » Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:47 pm

Tex Smith's book "Karting " page 102 has the standard, enduro and all purpose numbers you seek.
Last edited by Dominic Salvato on Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bob Towarnicki
Vintage Karting items owned: 65 Alley Kat Mc91
Narrow Hoop A Bone Mc91B
Various restoration projects

Re: Looking for Margay Gearbox education

Post by Bob Towarnicki » Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:28 pm

Dominic,
Thanks. The one resource I had, that I never thought to look in. So if others are interested, the Enduro had a 25 intermediate gear matched to a 75 output gear and the Indoor or "All Purpose Range" box had an 18 intermediate gear matched to an 82 output gear.
Bob :oops: