Don Umpberger Capitol Kart UMP special passed away

Post all your vintage karting messages here in the General Discussion Forum

Moderator: Rob Voska

Keith Bryan
Vintage Karting items owned: 1960 Capitol Kart UMP Special
User Agreement: Yes

Don Umpberger Capitol Kart UMP special passed away

Post by Keith Bryan » Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:44 pm

I was doing a Google search and learned that the man who invented the Capitol Kart UMP Special in 1960 has recently passed away I had the honor of speaking with him a few years back he was delighted that one of his Karts were still around he told me he had one with all the bells and whistles and someone stole it out of his garage only about 100 UMP specials were ever made from 1960 to 1961
the one I have (thanks to Mike Clements) is a 1960 because of the cushion aire motor mounts that it came with were to difficult to make the 1961 model used swing mounts or a different system
FRANKLIN - Donald James Umberger, Our Dad, Grandpa, Great-Grandpa, husband and friend passed away on Sunday, August 7, 2011. Don was born August 3, l932 in Racine to the late Lester and Emma Umberger. He grew up in LaCrosse (spending summers in Racine), graduating from Central High School in l950. Many of his best friends were made during those high school years. He served in the Air Force, stationed at McChord Air Force Base in Tacoma, Washington 1951-53. He loved jets and flying them, which later turned into a love of watching planes. He moved to Racine in 1953 to help his Dad with the family business, the A & W on 12th Street. He loved motors and got involved with go-karts, selling and racing them. He desiged the "ump cart" which of course had both style and speed. From there he moved on to Honda motorcylcles, snowmobiles and then his main business the Toyota dealership. The RV store was his retirement business. His signature "Capital Motors" covered all of his interests. He loved his business and all the friends he made along the journey. He loved traveling in his motor home, watching airshows, any and all car races and mowing grass. He will be deeply missed by his wife, Mary and his five children. Luanne (Brian) McNulty, Donna Umberger, Gayle (Mark) Dederich, Mia (Mitch) Latinkic, and Glenn Umberger. And missing their Grandpa, Garrett, Jennifer (Scott), Sam, Mitchell, Lauren, Cameron and great-grandaughter, Brynn. Don is survived by his first wife Thelma Umberger, niece Jane Wagner and his wife's family. Don was preceded in death by his parents, sister, Veneda and her husband Bill. Relatives and friends may call from 11:00 a.m. until 1:00 p.m. Tuesday, August 16, 2011, at Heritage Funeral Home, 9200 S. 27th Street, Oak Creek, WI. Military burial will take place at 2 p.m. at Southern Wisconsin Veterans Memorial Cemetary, 21731 Spring Street, Union Grove, WI. Don's wish was that his family, friends, employee's and customers would know how much they meant to him!

Published in Racine Journal Times on August 14, 2011

Michael Burke

Re: Don Umpberger Capitol Kart UMP special passed away

Post by Michael Burke » Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:03 am

This is what an Ump Special is for those not familiar with Don's karts. They are a pretty rare kart. Only 4 are currently known to exist. This one is currently being restored. It's a later model without the "cushionaire" mount of the previous model. I had talked to Don and he mentioned using a few different swing mount designs during the life of the production run. Unfortunately he didn't have any photos to show exactly what they looked like. One mount he mentioned was the cast aluminum mount sold by Petite Karts from Oregon.

Michael
Attachments
DSC00036 copy.jpg
(96.73 KiB) Downloaded 702 times
Last edited by Michael Burke on Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Keith Bryan

Post by Keith Bryan » Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:44 am

Michael Burke

Post by Michael Burke » Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:25 pm

This one sold on Ebay a couple of years ago. It is the 4th one currently known to exist. Like all rare karts there could be many more still hiding in someones garage, barn or basement. I talked with the seller during the listing period, but I don't remember who bought it. If it was a vintage collector they seem to be staying in the stealth mode. It is the most complete of all known Capitol karts and it's one of the early versions that used the molded plastic steering wheel and Hands wheels. Someone lengthened this one along with some other mods. The seller said there were no weld or grind marks on the underside where the floor pan attaches, so it looks as if it was mounted just like the Moss kart floor pan using clamps.

Michael
Attachments
Ebay Capitol 1.jpg
(27.84 KiB) Downloaded 718 times

Keith Bryan

Post by Keith Bryan » Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:07 pm

Well 4 out of 100 after 50 years is pretty good keep me posted if you find more

Michael Burke

Post by Michael Burke » Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:05 pm

Here's a scan of an ad for the later model Capitol kart. It was a small ad, so it didn't scan well.
Attachments
Capitol ad 1 copy.jpg
(100.41 KiB) Downloaded 702 times

Keith Bryan

Post by Keith Bryan » Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:22 pm

Thanks i didnthave that one!
I was working on the rack and pinion today ive got all the paint and gunk out of it but the cad / zinc / galvanize ? Should be redone where do you go to get that done?

Ken Bohannon
Vintage Karting items owned: 1966 Boone Enduro
72 Blackhawk Poison Arrow MkVI
60 Gilson Excalibur Jr

Post by Ken Bohannon » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:25 am

Nice pic of Don from KART magazine January 1961
Attachments
Capitol.jpg
(132.32 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Keith Bryan

Post by Keith Bryan » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:43 am

Thank you for posting this picture
I had not seen it before

Ken Bohannon
Vintage Karting items owned: 1966 Boone Enduro
72 Blackhawk Poison Arrow MkVI
60 Gilson Excalibur Jr

Post by Ken Bohannon » Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:28 am

Stumbled on one more feature on the UMP you might like to see, this one from KART magazine 2/61.
Happy Holidays, Ken
Attachments
Ump..jpg
(140.87 KiB) Not downloaded yet