My Recover From A Very Serious Illness

Post all your vintage karting messages here in the General Discussion Forum

Moderator: Rob Voska

Jack Murray

My Recover From A Very Serious Illness

Post by Jack Murray » Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:32 am

It's been almost a month since I was released from St Luke’s Hospital in Phoenix. I'd like to explain to anyone that knows me and heard I had become very Ill, exactly what happened to me on my way back to Quincy for the Vintage Races.

My trip back to Quincy started out like all of my trips back to the Midwest. Fly to Phoenix and connect to my final destination. US Airways has the first flight out of San Diego at 6:25am which I happen to be on. The plane was on its way to the runway for take off when all of a sudden I felt the worst unbearable pain in my stomach I had ever experienced. The passenger sitting next to me realized I had a serious problem and got the attention of the Flight Attendants who informed the Cockpit of the situation. The First Officer came back and asked me if I wanted to go back to the gate, I stupidly said no. After takeoff the pain got worse and the Cockpit informed US Airways and Air Traffic Control of my problem. Are plane was cleared for immediate landing in Phoenix without any air traffic or gate delays. The Flight Attendants made an announcement for everyone to remain in there seats until the paramedic could get me off the plane.

The last thing I remember that morning was the Paramedic taking me off the plane and taking me down to the ambulance. I woke up in the hospital's ICU three weeks later very confused with a quarter inch tracheotomy hole in my neck, bandages all over me, and numerous tubes sticking out of my body. My wife who had been at my bedside for most of the time I was unconscious was there to informed me that I had come down with Acute Pancreatitis, ( a severe inflammation of the pancreas ). An Illness that is accompanied by severe abdomen pain, in my case so severe that I had to be heavily sedated. The entire time I was hooked up to a ventilator with fluids be administered intravenously. Consequently, I lost over thirty pounds.

When I was first released from the Hospital I was extreme weak and anemic because of the weight loss and lying in a bed for twenty six days. I have been getting stronger every day and able to get around just fine. Today I'm feeling great.

I'm making plans to attend the vintage enduro races at VIR the first weekend in Nov. then going to Chicago to see my family. I plan on going to Daytona for the WKA Enduro National the last week of Dec. to wrench for Keith Freber and Randy Fulks of Team Margay, and then down to Jacksonville in Jan. for the Vintage races. I really look forward to seeing many of you around the country in 2012. Jack

Scott Kneisel
Vintage Karting items owned: '63 Rupp Grand Prix, 66 Rupp Chappy, Mc6's, Mc8, Mc10's, Mc20's
Lotsa' other Macs
User Agreement: Yes

Re: My Recover From A Very Serious Illness

Post by Scott Kneisel » Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:42 pm

Wow Jack, I have been told that illness is the most painful there is!!
Glad you got thru it and glad you are feeling better now.
See you in Jacksonville,
Scott

Jacob Jay
Vintage Karting items owned: Power Products engines! PP1000, AH-47, AH-81. Homelite KR-92!

Post by Jacob Jay » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:41 am

Jack- Welcome back and good to see you recovering from such a severe illness. Did they find out what actually caused the inflammation? Anything to do with the pancreas is real scary.

Keith Bryan
Vintage Karting items owned: 1960 Capitol Kart UMP Special
User Agreement: Yes

Post by Keith Bryan » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:18 pm

wow this makes me very thankful for every second of my life
Im glad you are feeling better