1961 Fox Go-Boy

Re: Need advice on dart kart

Post by John Swartout » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:56 pm

That's the one.

John

Rob Voska

Post by Rob Voska » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:21 pm

Flat axle braces with holes punched in them. Those look like a Blitz brace.

I have a very similar kart. I call it a Super K, it has the 5 qt tank, short swing mount & Hands wheels the seat back is also shorter than other I have seen.

John Swartout
Vintage Karting items owned: 1960 Percival Hellcat
1961 Thunderblitz
1961 Fox Go-Boy

Post by John Swartout » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:56 pm

You are right Rob, the braces are the same as used on Blitz Karts. Braces were made by a company called Semco Products from Long Island, N Y. They also made live axle kits, chain guards, aluminum pedals, and a host of other parts for karts.

Also, regarding the short swing mount, Rupp introduced the Posi-Torque Drive axle with swing mount in mid 1961.

John

Mike Anderson
Vintage Karting items owned: SAE karts (2)
Rathman xterminator (3)
margay cheetah dual (1)
Blackstone Special (1)
User Agreement: Yes

Post by Mike Anderson » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:59 pm

Hi all,
Thanks again for all the help. If anyone has or knows of a source for an original set of pedals please let me know. I understand that the early pedals were somewhat different than the latter ones. Once again I welcome and appreciate all the help I can get. Seems like putting the original style pedals back on it would be the right thing to do. I hate to mess up the paint. Maybe just change pedals and leave the extra mount tabs.
Thanks Mike Anderson (317)729-2418

Rob Voska

Post by Rob Voska » Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:49 pm

Mine had Dart petals but the early ones where they coined in the flat so they could cross drill for the clevis pin.

Tom Smith
Vintage Karting items owned: 1960/61 Go Kart 800 Konig FA
1961 Max-Torque Special triple
1962 Max-Torque Special dual

Post by Tom Smith » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:13 pm

You'll probably need longer control rods in conjunction with the correct pedals. There have been some of those pedals listed on e-bay occasionally. I don't think those axle braces were originally on the kart from Rupp. Rupp offered their own axle brace option which were flat plates with several holes punched in them. I would have already cut off the bogus Fox pedal mounts and donated the Fox pedals to a Fox, Lancer, Brand X, or some other kart that originally came with them.
The early bent 3/8" bar style pedals only lasted until 62. The area where it was flattened and drilled isn't too well engineered. The later ones have the clevis attach plate welded to the outer edge, they have adequate edge distance around the clevis pin holes, and the rod isn't weakened by a 1/4" hole punched thru the middle of it.

Mike Anderson
Vintage Karting items owned: SAE karts (2)
Rathman xterminator (3)
margay cheetah dual (1)
Blackstone Special (1)

Post by Mike Anderson » Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:00 pm

Good news is the little engine sucked fuel right up and started Good mojo, won't want to drive it without doing at least a pressure check. Probably needs seals.
Thanks to all.
Later Mike