original mac dealer paperwork value??

Post all your vintage karting messages here in the General Discussion Forum

Moderator: Rob Voska

david a luciani
Vintage Karting items owned: gk800 -r1 -gilson excalibar -rupp concept dual,concept,Cheetah ll, panther -Bug
User Agreement: Yes

original mac dealer paperwork value??

Post by david a luciani » Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:49 pm

hi guys,

in my wandering i've come across an interesting lead. without any specifics i have found a fellow that claims to have many vintage parts. the one thing i'm not sure of is the paperwork he has. he claims to have complete mcculloch dealer only paperwork for the mac engines including the microfinch.
I'm not sure if this guy is b.s.ing me to get me to him to try and sell me junk ie later mcculloch info that is worthless to me.

#1 question did mac have microfinch info for their racing motors? i have to travel a really long way to look at this stuff and a wasted trip will not be good. as it is i will be sneaking out to look at these parts. Read angry female+go kart parts = dead me :lol:

#2 what is something like this worth. i am not intending on resale so "getting cute"with advise won't work. i'd want to post any missing info for all to use as there seems to be big gaps in the info. anyway i just want a reasonable idea of what to offer so i am being fair to both parties. please don't be shy with replying as i will need to go next sat. 12/22 to make the offer. otherwise i won't be able to go till late january and the opportunity might be lost.
Sorry to ask this with so little time but it just came up out of nowhere thanx all dave

mcbob
Vintage Karting items owned: Everything Mac but a Kart but who know's ?

Re: original mac dealer paperwork value??

Post by mcbob » Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:00 pm

Gday David,

This is interesting as i have spent many many years collecting Mc Words in all shapes and sizes and i have seen a lot of it and most of it came through Ebay and no doubt there's still more to be found but really how much more than what already is considered common knowledge in the way of owners manuals and spare parts books along with the odd service bulletin is needed ?

Mc Bob.

david a luciani
Vintage Karting items owned: gk800 -r1 -gilson excalibar -rupp concept dual,concept,Cheetah ll, panther -Bug

Post by david a luciani » Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:31 pm

Mcbob, thank you for replying. I have your c.d. and it's wonderful. But to me there seems to be alot of gaps in the kart motors earlier service bulletin section. I really need to know what was done way back in the day. So far I haven't found anything else that would help. The books and sites all refer to stuff that it seems everyone learned as they went.
My question is does a complete set of mcculloch dealer paperwork and microfinch kept intact by a gentleman that built karts and sold the engines thru the sixties have value ? Or could it even exist?
His words and I Quote, "Sonny I was a mac dealer for all the years I built karts. I have the complete dealer book with all the paperwork and microfinch that they ever sent me.Nobody but dealers could even get these books/bulletins. "
He would like to set a fairly high value on this information. I have Mcbob's c.d. so this guys stuff only has value to me if the older info is there .

In my limited experience there's more B.S.ers then actual good finds out there.
So if anyone out there knows if the mcculloch dealers got all paperwork on all the factory modifications of the day? ie stroked engine kits- special cranks - factory available modifications- etc, etc. that is germane to all racing applications.

As far as how much is needed. Nothing is easy to know as far as what not to do to damage a rare engine beyond repair that you've never worked on before.I can't even tell for sure if something i find that looks wrong to me was a factory mac modification.
You guys have alot of assumed knowledge that you consider basic knowledge that everyone should know. As a newbe to kart engines i can assure you this is not true. I've built cars and bikes since i was small and always the repair manuals were available.
With karts there seems to be a few books (rare/expensive) and some dealer bulletins.I've been all over the net bought every book i can find and have yet to get anything that goes thru a simple break-down procedure does/don'ts. And unless i missed it where is the list of stroker cranks and numbers?
my problem is without information i can come across a stroked over bored mac not be able to tell that this was normal or somebodies ill advised experiment. ? example: How did i get a saw engine -s44A - with a 90 series crank in a 101series block. maybe to you guys the answers are obvious but i don't know jack.

but returning to my string=>
Is there anyone out there that can tell me if the dealers got all updates on mac motor changes or was it a haphazard affair that changes just happened as they went and there was no attendent paperwork. Also was microfinch used in conjunction with mac racing motor parts or service?

arrrgh sorry to be so repetitious but times a-flying on this clock. thanx again Dave

Ed DalPoggetto
Vintage Karting items owned: 63 Dart Grand Prix,62Caretta,60 Bug,64 Red Bug, 61 Ala Kart. 60 Go Kart 800.

Post by Ed DalPoggetto » Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:11 am

Dave,
McCulloch did have Microfinch, for their saw engines, along with the kart motors. I have a factory McCulloch microfinch, for the Mc-49,91,92,93, and 101 engines. I do not have the machine to look at these anymore, and if you can use them i will give the kart film to you.

McCulloch did also have dealer only paperwork, that sometimes came out weekly, on special repairs to certian models. I have seen some of this info from McCulloch, that some Mc-91's left the factory with 101 cylinder heads, causing a lack of power.

I have also seen factory only dyno sheets for some of the early kart engines, like Mc-9 40.70, and 75. This info i have came from the estate of Ormal Duke, he was a long time engineer, and had alot to do with all McCulloch kart engines. After he passed away, i bought a bunch of parts, and engines from his daughter, and these engines were used for dyno testing only. So to anser your question, yes there was alot of factory, and dealer only info.

If you want this kart microfinch, email me your address, and i will get it in the mail for you.....Ed

mcbob
Vintage Karting items owned: Everything Mac but a Kart but who know's ?

Post by mcbob » Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:52 pm

Yes Ed would more than likely be right " Technical bulletins came out often and as a saw dealer i got a lot of updates from McCulloch but i wasn't a Kart Engine Dealer so i'm not sure what those guys would have had sent to them by Mac.

Can you view the items before purchase to be certain as i'd hate to spend good money on something that really was common knowledge ...............

Mc Bob.

david a luciani

Post by david a luciani » Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:24 pm

Thank you guys that answers my question nicely. my address is no secret but i think i'll send it along private lines as this is a public forum. If the microfinch is viewable I'll post copies somehow.
And yes I'll be seeing and touching anything that I might buy. I'm a Connecticut Yankee so trust is not really something I'm good at with a stranger. Ebay buying is bad enough but I've had good luck even with seller spinning webs. Lol . their name kinda says it all.
Anyway i guess I'll go have a look see and maybe I'll get another good find. I'll post results when I know.
dave

Mark Brubaker
Vintage Karting items owned: none that would do REAR proud. Sorry,,just bein' honest.

Post by Mark Brubaker » Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:23 am

an' good luck with the angry wife.... :)

I've always been told that "there are 2 theories about arguing with a woman,,,, and neither one works". LOL

Mark

Russ Smith
Vintage Karting items owned: 59 BugWasp; 60 GoKart800; Simplex: 60 MKII, 62 MKVI; 69 BugStinger; 67 LilIndian Minibike.

Post by Russ Smith » Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:33 am

I try to intercept the FedEx man before he gets to our front door.............then quickly run into the shop and stash the goodies. Otherwise, the old lady instantly goes online to check our bank account. Hmmm, perhaps a slush fund is in order for 2008??

david a luciani

Post by david a luciani » Sat Dec 22, 2007 8:52 pm

huh, i thought every guy had a slush fund!!!! a very important item if your special gal prefers you not to buy toys that cost more than ten bucks.
Unfortunately i wasn't able to get away before i'm going out of town. maybe my sweeties been reading the forum,she seemed to know that i was up to something? :roll: hopefully my luck holds and this stuff isn't scooped before my return. will be back next year. everyone have a Happy Christmas and safe New Year. Peace out Dave 8-)

Oh yeah my addy i guess anyone could just look it up anyway
David A. Luciani
8 Burma rd
Woodbridge Ct.
:mrgreen: