Fox tie rod ends?

Post all your vintage karting messages here in the General Discussion Forum

Moderator: Rob Voska

Dean Seavers
Vintage Karting items owned: '66 Chap, '61 Bug Stinger, '61 McCulloch R-1, '60 Go Kart 800, '60 Bug Wasp, '60 Weirdo

Fox tie rod ends?

Post by Dean Seavers » Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:21 pm

Howdy-

I was wondering if anyone had a line on the old style barrel tie rods ends that Fox used? I checked McMaster-Carr and Aircraft Spruce, and they don't have them in a small enough size to use on the Fox kart I'm working on. Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Dean

Tom Perry
Vintage Karting items owned: 1961 Fox
User Agreement: Yes

Re: Fox tie rod ends?

Post by Tom Perry » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:52 am

Dean,
Try a lawn tractor dealer. I replaced the ball joints on my MTD lawn tractor, and i think they are the same size. I can check tonight when i get home, I will measure my Fox and compare it to the tractor.
regards,
Tom Perry

Rob Voska

Post by Rob Voska » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:09 pm

I'm sure if they are available Dick Teal will know where to get them. I looked high & low & never found exact replacements so I had mine re cad plated.

Dick Teal
Vintage Karting items owned: 1959 Mak-Kart, 1960Fox 60L, 1961 Fox (2), 1962 Fox, 1963 Fox, 1964 Fox, Margay New Breed

Post by Dick Teal » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:57 pm

Guys,

I couldn't find them either. I did find some that were similar but they needed to have the stud cut off and then cross drilled for a cotter pin. They are all gone also unless you can find some NOS or used ones.

The neat thing about the ball joints is that they come apart, can be cleaned and seem to never wear out. I decided to paint my Fox ball joints because I was worried about hydrogen embrittlement if they were plated. After I paint them I put a new rubber tube over the outside, grease the inside and then assemble the stud and end screw and cotter pin.

I've been known to buy a Fox kart just to get the ball joints. The problem with this is that I decide to restore the kart and I need another set for the one I stole them from.

If someone has a source please let me know.

Dick Teal

steve miller
Vintage Karting items owned: simplex,rupps,fox,putt nik,go kart 1600,alley cat ,hellcat,mcculloch,hornett,moss..

Post by steve miller » Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:43 pm

i might maybe no where i can hook us all up i bought 4 about 2 months ago from auto parts store in my town ..i was shocked they are 3/8 fine thread female with 5/16 ths stud that goes in spindle .they have the slot in end with the set screw so you can take them apart i just drilled mine i like them ..also i seen in catalog 1/4 x1/4 ,,1/4 x 5/16ths,,, /5/16ths x 5/16ths .. bla .bla bla ..

Tom Perry
Vintage Karting items owned: 1961 Fox

Post by Tom Perry » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:19 pm

Good evening Guys,
my suggestion for this problem is a bust. After closer inspection of both the tractor replacement tie rod end and my Fox, i say no way. Although the replacement end is a direct fit ( about an 1/8" shorter barrel length) it is not constructed the same. Maybe OK for show but no way would I race with them. They are lacking the end screw piece, no way to lube them or to prevent the ball from coming out of the socket. Bad Idea.Too bad though, they're made in the USA. I'll leave them on my tractor and keep looking, until Steve let's us know where he got his.

Tom Perry