Caretta for sale

Post all your vintage karting messages here in the General Discussion Forum

Moderator: Rob Voska

Ron Carbaugh
Vintage Karting items owned: Mak Kart, Xterminator, Simplex, McCulloch, West Bend, and other engines from over there.

Re: Caretta for sale

Post by Ron Carbaugh » Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:52 am

Ted & Rob,
I was going to stay out of this race since I didn't have a horse running, BUT I have to agree with both of you on this one. I have a 2007 truck that is less than a year and a half old and has almost 50,000 miles on the speedo. The point is, I do exactly what Rob says do, but there are so many deadend, but that is the way this hunt goes. Ask Ron Cubel, I have made the 850 mile trip (one way) from my house to his five times in less than two years.
Ebay is a auction. In a perfect world everyone would get what something is worth, but it isn't a perfect world and you don't always get your price or sometimes you have to pay to much.....in other words it evens out at the expence of some. Ron Cubel warned me when I got back into karting that he feels that 40% of everything he buys on ebay is junk. I have been at collecting Dirt Bikes, Race Boats and Cars for many years and have seen the same problem.
With all this said I have to tell a little story of a motorcycle purchased on ebay. It was in the wrong section. After winning it the owner told me he thought the bike would bring more than it did. I told him it was listed wrong and if left me positive feedback he could just relist it....he said it was too much trouble and sold it to me??? So much for telling it the way it is :roll: .

REAR

Post by REAR » Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:01 pm

:o CUBEL ? Be Very Careful !!!!!!!!!

Actually, none better to deal with and we should all be Thankful that cranky old man is among us. ;)

Seriously, in this hobby a little bit of patience goes a long way so just move to the next page because your first or next kart might be right around the corner.

R.E.A.R.

Ronald Cubel
Vintage Karting items owned: Xterminator Kart
Rathmann Kart
Exterminator Kart

Post by Ronald Cubel » Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:46 pm

:?: :?: :?:

Rob Voska

Post by Rob Voska » Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:47 pm

Ron can't ya take a compliment? :D Ya cranky old man :mrgreen:

matt cowley
Vintage Karting items owned: Fox duel box mount 60 Mak-kart 68 A Bone 63 Dart kart Bug "K" Wasp 63 hellcat

Post by matt cowley » Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:24 pm

Wow! Some of you guys are quick to judge other people. How dose Steve know I am not a true kart enthusiast or how much time I put in looking for karts. Time and effort is how I and few others found that Caretta and most of you did not. I much prefer the story of the guy getting the killer Deal rather than the guy that paid to much "Market price" Steve sounds like a saint talking about the poor seller that doesn't know what he has. But I will bet the farm if Steve or any one of you guys found this kart for a $300 buy it now on ebay you would be all over it. If the seller dose not take the time to do a little research on what they have and sells it cheep so be it.

Larry Gralapp
Vintage Karting items owned: Blackhawk Kart

Post by Larry Gralapp » Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:42 pm

What time and effort? I typed in Caretta, and it was right there on the screen. Took about 30 seconds.

matt cowley
Vintage Karting items owned: Fox duel box mount 60 Mak-kart 68 A Bone 63 Dart kart Bug "K" Wasp 63 hellcat

Post by matt cowley » Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:04 am

Yeah, Every one uses Caretta in there searches. You were one of the few.

Emil Snid
Vintage Karting items owned: i dont know what they are
one has a mac on it

Post by Emil Snid » Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:18 am

How do you all figure how to spell the name when you look on ebay? Thats harder than driving all over lookin in someones barn.
over and out
Emil

Michael Burke

Post by Michael Burke » Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:49 am

What makes you think only a few vintage karters search by brand names ??? I know many guys in this community that have specific searches set up just for these types of somewhat obscure listings. You can bet the ones in this group that have the available funds to get what they need will have searches set up to find what they want. All posts like Larry's do is to give more guys a chance at getting something they want. This hobby is nice because there are quite a few guys who like to help others and not just themselves. Ebay isn't the place to shop if you expect low prices. I don't know of any hobby that has to hunt down old items that is cheap to be involved in. We're lucky in that many vintage karts and parts can be replicated without an extensive shop available, so you can always make your own if you can't or won't pay current prices.

Dean Seavers
Vintage Karting items owned: '66 Chap, '61 Bug Stinger, '61 McCulloch R-1, '60 Go Kart 800, '60 Bug Wasp, '60 Weirdo

Post by Dean Seavers » Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:05 am

Matt-

Dude, everyone who wants a Caretta uses the search term "Caretta." Any vintage karter who uses ebay also puts in specific terms for the specific parts or karts they are looking for as one of their searches. It's not an insider trick or obscure notion to do that. I'm trolling for a 5-port 580 and have a search setup under "west bend 580." With the guys I know, a Caretta is on pretty much everyone's short list of karts that they want- which is why they go for bucks. More folks want them than are readily available, so more folks are looking for them than you are probably aware of. I'd love one myself, but I know I'm never going to find one on eBAY in my price range. I'd also like a '64 Vette for $2500 too. ;)

Be thankful that you at least have a chance at getting a great deal on one if you find one on Craigslist or a garage sale or swap meet. That will never happen with the Vette!

A thing to keep in mind- the group that you're being kinda cranky about will be the ones who have the elusive missing parts to help you complete your project when you find it. In my experience, they will generally bend over backwards to help if someone hasn't given them a good reason not to.

Dean