Caretta for sale

Post all your vintage karting messages here in the General Discussion Forum

Moderator: Rob Voska

Larry Gralapp
Vintage Karting items owned: Blackhawk Kart

Caretta for sale

Post by Larry Gralapp » Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:06 pm

Check this Caretta for sale on Ebay. It sure looks in great condition. If I had some spare cash I would be all over it.

Ebay #330196291258

matt cowley
Vintage Karting items owned: Fox duel box mount 60 Mak-kart 68 A Bone 63 Dart kart Bug "K" Wasp 63 hellcat

Re: Caretta for sale

Post by matt cowley » Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:41 pm

Thanks you SOB! I was going to try to buy this kart now I don't have a prayer. I wish you guys would keep your big mouths shut about karts on ebay. Let us poor guys that look hi and low for a good deal have a chance.

REAR

Post by REAR » Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:53 pm

Matt,

Lets be a little more civil will you. Were all sure Larry's intentions were good and that why this site is here, to help out your fellow rear engine karting enthusiasts. Bid away or keep on looking. Unfortunatly thats the way the game is played.

R.E.A.R.

Darvin Jahnke
Vintage Karting items owned: 60 Simplex Mk II Dart Kart

Post by Darvin Jahnke » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:00 pm

Someone asked the seller to end the auction. This is really upsetting and certainly not fair play for other people that are watching the item. Some people post the listing on REAR and some try to end the auction early. So it goes.

Dominic Salvato
Vintage Karting items owned: Caretta's, Darts, Lancers, Bug, Cates, Customs, Margay
User Agreement: Yes

Post by Dominic Salvato » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:09 pm

Before you go nuts on this kart, take the pictures and check them out carefully! I sent a question to the owner about if the rust showing, is surface rust or sat outside for years rust.. He didn't answer but posted that it had the 4th color on it that he knew of. This kart has some rust issues and I don't think they have been disclosed. I think the kart looked like the gas tank before the wire brush and the airsol overhaul. The cat is out of the bag and the bag is in the river!

matt cowley
Vintage Karting items owned: Fox duel box mount 60 Mak-kart 68 A Bone 63 Dart kart Bug "K" Wasp 63 hellcat

Post by matt cowley » Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:07 am

Now I am really pist off! some one made a offer to the seller now its off of ebay. The only one larry helped out was the one rich bastard that made the offer to take it off of ebay. Is this site for the greedy rich few with a garage full of karts and still buys up every thing or the average joe that wants a vintage kart with out spending a arm and a leg? If you were the one thats been looking for 15 years for one of these karts and this happed to you, You would be pist off too!

Dean Seavers
Vintage Karting items owned: '66 Chap, '61 Bug Stinger, '61 McCulloch R-1, '60 Go Kart 800, '60 Bug Wasp, '60 Weirdo

Post by Dean Seavers » Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:31 am

Matt-

If you're just looking for a vintage kart to have and enjoy and not one of the primo collector models, there have been quite a few deals posted right here on the REAR classifieds. I think there was a running A-bone repop for $1800. For the sake of arguement, HAD you been able to get the Caretta for the opening bid of $750, by the time you paid shipping there is no way you'd get it track worthy as even a rat kart for $1800, if you were going to actually restore the thing you'd have $3k into it.

I understand the frustration though, there have been times when I've found mis-listed things and had someone draw attention to it which blew any chance of me getting it. It's a bummer, but the good part is thanks to eBAY very few things in this world are truly rare, and there are a lot of similar types of karts and parts that end up being fairly reasonable if you aren't holding out for a very specific piece. The other good news is the kart market is pretty soft right now. There are very few karts right now that are selling for more than it costs to restore them and a lot that are going for quite a bit less.

I'd suggest hitting the Craigslist for the biggest city closest to you on a daily basis, and search under all different spellings and spacings of go kart. The screaming project deals are usually found on Craigslist, depending on what part of the country you live in. Just know that even the $200 kart project will usually end up costing you a pretty penny once you're done with the restoration.

Good luck with your search-
Dean

Dominic Salvato
Vintage Karting items owned: Caretta's, Darts, Lancers, Bug, Cates, Customs, Margay
User Agreement: Yes

Post by Dominic Salvato » Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:33 am

Hey Matt, there were a bunch of guy's dealing on this kart all week, it never was a secret. Take the pictures of the kart and look closely at the top of the frame rails above the louvers and the brake assembly. If you buy a vintage go kart your better off with one that was kept inside and not outside, no matter what brand it is. I think the guy that has this kart knows exactly what he was doing but didn't want to lie about it by posting it not in vintage karts but under Ingles & Borelli. If you want a mint Caretta bug Enzo!

matt cowley

Post by matt cowley » Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:01 am

Thanks for the info guys! I have calmed down now. Sorry, I had to vent that one out. And sorry rich bastards, If had the big bucks I would would have a garage full of karts and would buy up every thing too. And a sorry out to larry I'm sure you were just trying to help other vintage karters. The kart is back up on ebay by the way.

Dean Seavers
Vintage Karting items owned: '66 Chap, '61 Bug Stinger, '61 McCulloch R-1, '60 Go Kart 800, '60 Bug Wasp, '60 Weirdo

Post by Dean Seavers » Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:27 am

Eh, if you're young enough, the "rich bastards" are just keeping the karts in good shape for you until you can get them at the estate sale. :shock:

Bad Dean.... Bad Dean...
Last edited by Dean Seavers on Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.