HOW MANY RUPP GRAND PRIX KARTS ARE THERE?

Post all your vintage karting messages here in the General Discussion Forum

Moderator: Rob Voska

JON LADD
Vintage Karting items owned: RUPP GRAND PRIX "#875" under construction

HOW MANY RUPP GRAND PRIX KARTS ARE THERE?

Post by JON LADD » Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:26 am

I AM TRYING TO FIND OUT ROUGHLY HOW MANY RUPP GRAND PRIX KARTS WERE MADE, I HAVE #875. ALSO IF ANYONE KNOWS WHEN IT WOULD HAVE BEEN MADE?
THANKS FOR ANY INFO GUYS.

Dean Seavers
Vintage Karting items owned: '66 Chap, '61 Bug Stinger, '61 McCulloch R-1, '60 Go Kart 800, '60 Bug Wasp, '60 Weirdo

Re: HOW MANY RUPP GRAND PRIX KARTS ARE THERE?

Post by Dean Seavers » Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:04 pm

Jon-

I have no idea how many survive, but Rupp karts were made in the thousands, I remember reading an article and it had production figures for Rupp karts in the hundreds of thousands- which really surprised me. But what the percentages were amongst the different models, I have no idea.

Regardless, my guess is that there were more A-bones built than Grand Prix, but the Grand Prix was far from being a lo-number handbuilt specialty kart.

Great kart though- the A-bones, Grand Prix and the Chaparrals all handle really well.

Enjoy!
Dean

Dean Seavers
Vintage Karting items owned: '66 Chap, '61 Bug Stinger, '61 McCulloch R-1, '60 Go Kart 800, '60 Bug Wasp, '60 Weirdo

Post by Dean Seavers » Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:08 pm

Oops! The Grand Prix was made from 1964 through 66, as far as I know. If someone knows different, I'm sure they'll post. But I'm pretty sure 1966 was the only year that the Chaparral and the Gran Prix were both in production. By '67 the GP had been phased out because of the success of the Chaparral, and they must have been getting ready to debut the Model J karts the next year.

Dean

Ron Cubel

Post by Ron Cubel » Sun Jul 01, 2007 2:02 pm

63 was first. One piece frame only year with serial numbers on tag I think....Ron

JON LADD
Vintage Karting items owned: RUPP GRAND PRIX "#875" under construction

Post by JON LADD » Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:48 am

MY KART IS A TWO PEICE FRAME, WITH THE SERIAL # ON THE TAG
DONT KNOW IF THAT CHANGES ANYTHING. AND YES, THESE KARTS DO HANDLE REALLY WELL, VERY SUPRISING.
THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP GUYS.