removeing rear axle on mac r-200

Post all your vintage karting messages here in the General Discussion Forum

Moderator: Rob Voska

john byrne
Vintage Karting items owned: none
User Agreement: Yes

removeing rear axle on mac r-200

Post by john byrne » Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:09 pm

help I am trying to remove rear axle.Haveing a tuff time getting bearings off.I am trying not to bucher the bearings;Any help much apprecited.thanks john b

josh carrell
Vintage Karting items owned: simplex, Sprint, bug wasp, Dart Kart A bone, Sears Kart, Hornet lP2 Enduro.

Re: removeing rear axle on mac r-200

Post by josh carrell » Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:42 pm

hate to say it but bearings are cheap, and if you are restoring it anyway you might just want to replace them. The last one Mac kart I had got the axel cut out of it :mrgreen: .

Merv Cary
Vintage Karting items owned: Mid 60's Rupp Chapparral Enduro Kart. (2 MC 91A's)

Post by Merv Cary » Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:32 pm

Get some Kroll Oil and soak them good. Make sure the axle is clean of all burrs and rust. If that fails get out the "Heat Wrench". Bearings aren't that expensive.
Good Luck.

"Merv"

steve miller
Vintage Karting items owned: simplex,rupps,fox,putt nik,go kart 1600,alley cat ,hellcat,mcculloch,hornett,moss..

Post by steve miller » Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:04 am

john ,,first make sure you remove locking collars if used ..takes lotta patience.. plus most of the time theres 37 coats of paint on axle .i clean axle down to bare metal tunk on bearings till they get past the bad part they will useally slide right off ..i can most always save them but there only 6 to 8 bucks apiece.. you have to clean axle to install new ones anyways so your not out that time ..

Mike Reller
Vintage Karting items owned: 1961 Bantam, 1962 McCulloch

Post by Mike Reller » Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:52 pm

Axles are pretty cheap too. I found the axle on my R 200 to be just too nasty to save. It took only a few minutes to cut it into several bite size chunks. American Power Sports sells the nice flex proof axles, and the bearings too. Don't forget to check the length of the axle before you pitch it. It may not even be the original axle, so get the original axle length before you order. Don't you hate the way Mc Culloch chose to mount the axle? Mike