40 years from now on REAR

Post all your vintage karting messages here in the General Discussion Forum

Moderator: Rob Voska

ted johnson

Re: 40 years from now on REAR

Post by ted johnson » Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:45 am

Rob and Bob: Thanks for the decision to leave things as-is. The guidelines work very well as was shown at Fremont! I imagine there are quite a few guys who have a large investment in both time and money in their late '60's karts, and I imagine they'd hate to retire them. Ted J.

Ronald Cubel
Vintage Karting items owned: Xterminator Kart
Rathmann Kart
Exterminator Kart

Post by Ronald Cubel » Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:14 am

We should be talking about when a Kart was introduced ore designed not how long they made them. Bug still ofered the sprint up throught the mid 70's but it was introducted in 68 in my book that is a 68 kart design. Margay intro'd the Cheeta in 1971 but made the same basic kart till 1973 in my book it;s a 71. Think about it? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Ron

PS I think they should lower the year to 1964 that would keep the forums busy for at least a couple months :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

ted johnson

Post by ted johnson » Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:05 pm

Hey, Ron, what the heck, why not '60 when live axle started showing up! Cheryl has the Bug mounts cut, I will pick them up and take them to the shop for bending tomorrow... Ted

steveohara
Vintage Karting items owned: 1969 Bug Sprint Mc 91B1
1965 Dart Gran Prix twin Mc100s
1963 Bug Scorpion ESll Mc45

Post by steveohara » Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:06 am

I agree with Ron's view. A Rupp A-Bone, even one built in the late 70s is still a vintage kart in the spirit of the REAR concept. Same with the Mac engines sold in the late 70s... other than paint colors they were basically the same engines that were built in 72.
One area of design that doesn't get much attention but seems pretty important to me is the wheels. To the best of my memory, there were no wheels used in karting up through 1972 made of the spun aluminum design with the seperate hubs that clamped on the axle. I would think that the REAR guidlines should include the requirement that there be no rear axles larger than 1" and they should be the stepped design with the threaded end for a nut. Exceptions should be made for karts that featured OEM variations like the Rupp chassis that had the special hubs with the spinner knock off retainers. I see so many great vintage karts.. Rupp Gran Prixs, Bug Sprints etc with VanK or Propline spun aluminum wheels and they just don't belong on those karts IMHO.
OK... flame away :D
Steve O'Hara

Dave Brillhart

Post by Dave Brillhart » Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:03 am

Be careful how you word any new rules, that description could be applied to Margay 24's. Dave

REAR

Post by REAR » Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:37 pm

Robert, your 'facts' have no influence on the Guidelines considerations becasue the Guidelines are based on O.E.M. product designs not repops. We allow your repops because they duplicate the originals fairly close and for no other reason.

Steve, good point about a 'fixed' bolt on wheel on a stepped axle. We are with you 100% about leaving that modern adjustable design stuff to SKUZA.

Dave, Margay 24's are a 'fixed' wheel last time we looked. They should and do fit in quite nicely however the rim halves were of a 'spun' design so we
see where your coming from as far as 'wording' goes.

Larry, 1975 is not 1972. Period.

R.E.A.R.

Gordon Duax
Vintage Karting items owned: Lots!

Post by Gordon Duax » Sat Nov 03, 2007 5:26 pm

Rob Voska wrote:Most of you old farts will be dead! Who cares? :mrgreen:
Remember that statement the next time one of us 'old farts' nerfs you into the hay bales ! :lol:

david martin
Vintage Karting items owned: old twin rail kart and a bunch of stuff cluttering the garage

Post by david martin » Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:06 pm

I am glad that I started this thread a lot of interesting viewpoints were expressed. Who is to really say what will be of interest in 40 years motorsports has enjoyed its share of attention perhaps 40 years from now people that use 2 cycle fossil fueled engines will be looked down on as people that dont care about the enviorment heck who knows? anyways I am not trying to get anyone to change anything but as time tics by the only thing that is constant is change
have a blast!!

Eric Haynie
Vintage Karting items owned: margay concept

Post by Eric Haynie » Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:39 am

40 years from now there will be no carb diaphrams left :shock:
Eric

Ronald Cubel
Vintage Karting items owned: Xterminator Kart
Rathmann Kart
Exterminator Kart

Post by Ronald Cubel » Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:12 pm

40 years from now people will still be getting screwed by the people in Nevada :shock: :shock: :shock: :mrgreen: Ron