need more suggestions for carb

Post all your vintage karting messages here in the General Discussion Forum

Moderator: Rob Voska

chris parker
Vintage Karting items owned: vintage 61 fox. 60 putt-nik
User Agreement: Yes

need more suggestions for carb

Post by chris parker » Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:16 pm

well guys i bought a whole new carb kit for my tilliston took it apart and replaced everything cleaned the carb very well brought it to work and mechanics helped me with somew stuff i put the carb back on reassembled the motor and still the fuel only comes half way up the fuel line and just stops im confused any suggestions?

thanks
chris

p.s what is a good way to check spark and on these?

david a luciani
Vintage Karting items owned: gk800 -r1 -gilson excalibar -rupp concept dual,concept,Cheetah ll, panther -Bug

Re: need more suggestions for carb

Post by david a luciani » Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:33 pm

seems obvious but did you check your fuel line for leaks?
the tiniest hole can mess you up.
you should have the line clamped on both ends too.
a small piece od fine wire twisted will work fine.
also make sure the carb is sealed to the manifold and all seals are good.
dave

chris parker

Post by chris parker » Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:13 pm

hey david i do have a clamp on the carb end of the line i dont have one on the petcock end comming out of the tank. i will do that right now and try the line seems to have no leaks other question i have is should the fuel suck right up to the carb even when the motor is not running? all the seals are tight and look good everything is new little while ago i tokk the carb apart to check everything again and it seemed like the fuel wasnt making it down to the diapraghm but everything is open and very clean im so fustrated lol

chris

larry gibson
Vintage Karting items owned: 1961 hellcat,1975 super dart,3pp5.8,1pp6.1super,1mc91b

Post by larry gibson » Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:53 pm

Chris are you try to choke the engine while cranking? Sometimes it takes one person cranking while the other keeps the carb. covered until the fuel gets all the way to the carb. Larry

chris parker

Post by chris parker » Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:11 pm

hey larry i havent tried that but also when i take the fuel line off the injector the fuel runs right to the top in the fuel line this is so fustrating lol dous anyone work on power products motors?

its probably something so simple and im no engine head by any means lol

chris

Rob Voska

Post by Rob Voska » Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:17 pm

Have you checked the reeds to see if they are sealing? Checked all the pulse holes & intake gaskets? As I said before PP engines are known for air leaks past the seals.

Don't pull it forever. The engine is getting NO LUBRICATION. Your rubbing 30-40 year old dry parts together & will do more damage than anything. Squirt a shot down the throat of the carb to see if it will pop. Also use your hand to choke as it seals off ALL the air. Lots of butterfly chokes have nothces in them to let some air by.

chris parker

Post by chris parker » Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:26 pm

hey rob i checked all the reeds and they looked good seems like everything is sealed ill have to wait till monday till i can get a flywheels puller thats the only way i can get the carb off to check the reedsand stuff again. do the reeds have anything to do with the fuel not sucking fully up to the carb? when i took the carb aprt again it seemed like the diapraghm was dry also should i drop some fuel into that also and put it back together?

thanks
chris

Rob Voska

Post by Rob Voska » Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:47 am

What do you need a puller for? Two 1/4" nuts and the carb should come right off.

chris parker

Post by chris parker » Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:29 am

i need the flywheel puler to get the fly wheel off the one nut on the carb sits right behind the beacking plate for the flywheel cover cant get a wrench in there to undo the nut so u have to take the flywheel off the ignition and the backing plate o get to that nut.

chris

Rob Voska

Post by Rob Voska » Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:55 am

Can you pst a picture?