Avon Vintage Kart Weekend

Post all your vintage karting messages here in the General Discussion Forum

Moderator: Rob Voska

Scott Kneisel
Vintage Karting items owned: '63 Rupp Grand Prix, 66 Rupp Chappy, Mc6's, Mc8, Mc10's, Mc20's
Lotsa' other Macs
User Agreement: Yes

Avon Vintage Kart Weekend

Post by Scott Kneisel » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:57 pm

Hi,
Just wanted to send out a reminder that the vintage kart weekend at Avon NY will be held on July 30, 31 and Aug 1st. We are really hoping to have a decent turn out and hopefully make this an annual event.

There have been no pre-registrations so I am trying to get some kind of idea how many karts / karters will be coming. In order to plan it would be good to have some idea of who might come. I would appreciate it if you could send me an email or respond to this post if you plan to attend. I am not asking for a solid commitment, just would like to get an idea of what we might expect. This will help us plan the food, pit space, show space, etc.

Just to let you know, I have rented the track to run my karts 2 full days this spring and I love it. It is a really nice track with some very fast sections and some very challenging sections. This is the first time I have been on this track since 1965. It is a super facility and I am really grateful that the Genesee Valley Kart Club is willing to host this for us vintage folks.

Please respond if you would, and I hope to see you at Avon in July.
Thank you,
Scott Kneisel
Chuckie72us@yahoo.com

david a luciani
Vintage Karting items owned: gk800 -r1 -gilson excalibar -rupp concept dual,concept,Cheetah ll, panther -Bug

Re: Avon Vintage Kart Weekend

Post by david a luciani » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:18 pm

Scott,

i am planning on attending.
currently the gk1200 and my margay cheetah left are coming.
i have a margay new breed sidewinder almost ready but it lacks front spindles.
i am told they are being shipped this week so with luck that'll be there too.

One thing,i thought that you were fri, sat. only as i saw it posted on vcka site.
J
uly 2010

* Friday, July 30 2010 - Saturday, July 31 2010 08:00am - 05:00pm
Vintage Kart Race. Avon, NY by bpadmin :: On-Track only
did you add a day?
anyway i've made plans to go to Rick Chapmans event in ohio on sunday.
the rumor i heard there are a few guys doing the same thing since the ohio track is only 5 hours away.

so put me down for two possibly three karts.
dave 8-)

Chris Marchand
Vintage Karting items owned: to daggone many

Post by Chris Marchand » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:39 pm

Scott, I will be there with 3 karts. Looking forward to a great event. Chris

Pete Cioruch
Vintage Karting items owned: My original Rupp Grand Prix

Post by Pete Cioruch » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:43 pm

Scott: If my kart arives from California in time for me to get it ready,I will be there with a Margay Concept Sprint with a 101. Havn't been on a kart since 1972. I should be able to go at least 3 laps !!!!

david a luciani
Vintage Karting items owned: gk800 -r1 -gilson excalibar -rupp concept dual,concept,Cheetah ll, panther -Bug

Post by david a luciani » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:59 pm

Pete,
i'll have to prep a concept for next year and we can play.
if yours doesn't show up come down anyway.
if you promise not to stick my motor i'll lend you some seat time.
dave 8-)

roger santee

Post by roger santee » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:30 am

Plan on being there on Saturday. Bringing a Rupp A-Bone and a Margay Concept. Going to Rick Chapmans on Sunday also.

Terry Armstrong
Vintage Karting items owned: (2) 63 Bug Wasps, Mc9 & West Bend 500 . 72 Bug Stinger, Mc49E.

Post by Terry Armstrong » Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:16 pm

Scott,

My Family and I are planning to come to the Event. Have the pre-registration form filled out, just haven't sent it out yet.....will be very soon!

We are bringing both karts: 1963 Bug Wasp with West Bend "Rookie" 500 for my 7 & 8 year olds to share, and I'm bringing my 1977 Margay Panther X with Komet K88. Haven't been on the track since 1988, but loved the track back then.

Can you give some idea about gearing? When I was last there, ran a Briggs :oops: ! Have no idea what to use with a proper 2 stroke kart.

See you in a few weeks!

Terry

Rob Voska

Post by Rob Voska » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:42 am

Any local motels? Last time I was up there we used to stay in a small private owned motel.

Terry Armstrong
Vintage Karting items owned: (2) 63 Bug Wasps, Mc9 & West Bend 500 . 72 Bug Stinger, Mc49E.

Post by Terry Armstrong » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:20 pm

Rob,

There's a link in the "Events" tab for the Avon flyer which takes you to their website http://GVKC.org
with Motel listings.

There are 3 within about 5 miles from the track. I was able to get a reservation a month or so ago at the Stratford. There are bigger Motels about 15 minutes away near Rochester (I-90).

Looking forward to the event! See you there.

Terry

Scott Kneisel
Vintage Karting items owned: '63 Rupp Grand Prix, 66 Rupp Chappy, Mc6's, Mc8, Mc10's, Mc20's
Lotsa' other Macs

Post by Scott Kneisel » Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:58 pm

Terry,
I am still experimenting with the gearing for Avon and the vintage karts. Kind of depends on your weight and what engine you are running. My wife is running a hopped up Mc49 which is probably equal to an Mc7 on a Dart Grand Prix. I have that set up at 10/75 and it is peaking out 90% of the way down the long straight but pulls out of the hairpin nicely. I may try to drop that down a tooth on the large. My dual Mc20's on my R1 are set up to 9/62 which is perfect. More powerful duals can go to a lower ratio for sure. For a mac I would say for a single, try 10/70 to start and bring sprockets on either side. Not sure how hot a K88 is, I don't have any experience with those, Maybe some others have input.

The one straight is quite long and the hairpin is really tight so it is a balancing act. It is a fun track though as you remember I'm sure.

Technically your panther doesn't qualify with the 1975 cut off date but it is period enough for me to run with the sidewinders, especially with the K88. Bring it!!