carburator

Post all your vintage karting messages here in the General Discussion Forum

Moderator: Rob Voska

chris parker
Vintage Karting items owned: vintage 61 fox. 60 putt-nik
User Agreement: Yes

carburator

Post by chris parker » Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:37 pm

hey guys im trying to get my power products motor running i have the fuel hooked up and all but the carb wont suck the fuel into it. i asked a buddy he told me there is a air leak somewhere i have checked everything cant seem to come up with a solution. the only thing i can think of is rebuilding the carb. will the tilliston rebuild kits work for all tillistons? need some help and maybe some resolutions

thanks
chris

Mike Reller
Vintage Karting items owned: 1961 Bantam, 1962 McCulloch

Re: carburator

Post by Mike Reller » Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:25 pm

Chris, There is a reference to Tillotson carburetors on this site, if not, try a seach on Google. I found it that way. You have to assume that a Power Products engine will have fairly dried out carb internal because of it's age. I hate to bring up the most common mistake that we've all made, make sure the little hole in the carb,gasket, and reed plate are all aligned. If not, it won't pump. I'd try a little prime in the carb, some times that helps get it flowing. Not all tilly rebuild kits are the same. The HL style has been around for over 50 years. I hope this helps.

chris parker

Post by chris parker » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:42 pm

hey mike thanks for ur reply for the most part the gaskets dont look bad could deffinatly need new ones i did poor a little gas into the carb and it seemed like it didnt drain down in. im new to all this motor stuff so maybe it dousnt but if im going to replace the carb gaskets i want to make sure i have the right one so when i take it apart i have the right stuff right there to match it up. i will look on here for the tilliston referance i seen a rebuild kit on kartsand parts which i beleive is the right one but i will match the numbers

thanks
chris

Rob Voska

Post by Rob Voska » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:56 pm

Usually on the flange it will have HL followed by a number. The other thing to ckeck is to make sure the needle is not stuck. Lift off the top & push down the fulcrum arm & make sure the needle is free to let fuel into the wet side of the carb. A little WD40 ther won't hurt either.

chris parker

Post by chris parker » Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:02 pm

i didnt think to check the needles i will do that now and if worst comes to worst i have to buy a rebuild kit for it thanks for the tips dous anyone know where the reference is for the carbs on here?

thanks for the help

chris

Mark Brubaker
Vintage Karting items owned: none that would do REAR proud. Sorry,,just bein' honest.

Post by Mark Brubaker » Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:27 pm

It's probably something simple.. This motor does have decent compression doesn't it?

For some reason this reminds of the time years ago when I got a Yamaha back from the blueprint shop. I mounted it on my kart, worked all evening and couldn't get it to fire a lick, or so it seemed. I quit for the night in disgust,,, the next day, at work, it occured to me what the problem was... I had forgotten to take the wadded-up paper towel out of the carb bore..... :oops: :oops: :oops:

Hello,, my name is Mark,,,, an' I'm an recovering idiot.. LOL

chris parker

Post by chris parker » Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:42 pm

lol mark im sure it isnt that i hope its something simple dous have very good compression another thing i was wondering also is if the spark is good i tried to sit in on the motor and pull the cord but it would stay on it to tell but that also dousnt resolve the fuel problem im no expert but the fuel should still suck up to the carb no problem i beleive? i also have a idiot question being a newby to these motors where the needles are whats the L and the H stand for?

thanks
chris

Mark Brubaker
Vintage Karting items owned: none that would do REAR proud. Sorry,,just bein' honest.

Post by Mark Brubaker » Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:50 am

L = low speed mixture

H= High speed mixture

Rob Voska

Post by Rob Voska » Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:00 am

Measure where they are before messing with them. 1turn each is usually a starting point for gas. BUT I was talking about the needle that allows fuel in to the wet side of the fuel chamber not the adjustment needles. Also a bad reed will not let you have any crank case compression & the carb will not pump.b Make sure spark is blue & will crack or at least jump a gap.

chris parker

Post by chris parker » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:46 am

hey rob where abouts is that needle ur talking about is it the gold one inbetween the the high and low needles sorry for the stupid questions im new to this carb thing and motors and also i do i check the spark the way i have allways done it was pull the plug out rest it on metal and pull the cord see if theres spark hard to do with these motors?

also there is a screw on the top of the carb where the fuel goes in when i loosen that up a little the fuel starts to come up almost 3/4 of the way then stops when i tighten the screw back down the fuel drops

thanks
chris