Dykes rings for the Mac Engines ....

Post all your vintage karting messages here in the General Discussion Forum

Moderator: Rob Voska

mcbob
Vintage Karting items owned: Everything Mac but a Kart but who know's ?

Dykes rings for the Mac Engines ....

Post by mcbob » Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:46 pm

I know there is still some Dykes rings available for the 91's to the 93 but are rings still around for the 101 ??
Are Piston's still around to suit the 91/93 or 101 that take the Dykes ring ?

What efforts are required in timimg the ports since there's a single ring that sits flush with the top of the piston ?

When doing port timing is the timing measured to the top of the piston or the top of the top piston ring ?

Mc Bob.

Rob Voska

Re: Dykes rings for the Mac Engines ....

Post by Rob Voska » Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:24 pm

Bore size is bore size. You should be able to find a bike ring that will work. I have not set up a Mac with a L ring but on foreign engines we used the ring for controlling the ports.

ted johnson

Post by ted johnson » Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:55 am

Hi, McBob! I ran lots of open reed foreigns and open LMR's in the '70's and early '80's with both thin rings and with Dykes. At low end the Dykes seemed better, I think due to better timing - but at high RPM, the thin rings were definitely better - I guess due to less cylinder wall friction. I tried my open B limited 101A/A with a Dykes and immediately switched back to the thin. Also, if you have extremely wide exhaust ports, the Dykes can and will snag, with evil result... Hope this doesn't confuse further! Ted

mcbob
Vintage Karting items owned: Everything Mac but a Kart but who know's ?

Post by mcbob » Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:04 pm

Thanks Rob and Ted thats the sort of answers i needed i have a 92 here fitted with a Dykes ring but have never really run it it's one of the engines i got from Darcy Peck over 20 years ago ..... Darcy has passed on to the big track up above so asking him questions is a tad hard.

Mc Bob.