ticked off

Post all your vintage karting messages here in the General Discussion Forum

Moderator: Rob Voska

Brian Thomas
Vintage Karting items owned: 61 Simplex MKII , 61 Fox Mak , 61 Fox , 67 Lancer,74 Kobra, Gokart 400, Unknown
User Agreement: Yes

ticked off

Post by Brian Thomas » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:04 am

I have been working on a Fox Mak for a fair amount of time now, I have had it to 3 different powder coaters now . Each one has said that it will turn out great and I will love it . I dont know what they define as great but it sure isn't what I would . I have had 2 other karts powder coated and they both turned out very nice and have held up well . The company that did them was bought out and the woman that shot them did not make the move to the new owners.
They all wanted paid for their work and thought it was a good job.
Well now I have to strip it again and its going to a body shop for a paint job .
I run my karts , they are not trailer queens . That is why I have going with powder coating because it lasts .
Can anyone recomend a finish process that will take the abuse .
Thanks
Brian
Brian , Dottie and Shadow Thomas
Black Dog Vintage Racing
http://www.blackdogvintageracing.com
If there isn't a Black Dog hair in the bag it's not a Black Dog product
"Black Dog" ask for it by name

Russ Smith
Vintage Karting items owned: 59 BugWasp; 60 GoKart800; Simplex: 60 MKII, 62 MKVI; 69 BugStinger; 67 LilIndian Minibike.

Re: ticked off

Post by Russ Smith » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:25 pm

Hi Brian,
Sorry to hear about your mis-fortune with THREE powder-coaters!! Want me to send you a pistol so you can "get" your money back? :o Seriously, Catalysed Urethane automotive finishes are darn tough. Also, I painted the frame of my '63 Corvette with DuPont Imron Epoxy and that shit is tough as nails. Let me know things turn out.

Russ

Rob Voska

Re: ticked off

Post by Rob Voska » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:40 pm

That's why I paint mine. I have talked to a lot of people from all over the country and they either love it or hate it. There is no inbetween. Some people specialize in "custom" powder coat.....they rest are assembly line people that don't know good from bad.

Also these old frames break on occasion so I always paint mine. If it cracks I can fix it.