Identifying wheels

Post all your vintage karting messages here in the General Discussion Forum

Moderator: Rob Voska

Randy Lewis
Vintage Karting items owned: 1967 Bug Sprint with MC 91-C
User Agreement: Yes

Identifying wheels

Post by Randy Lewis » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:59 pm

I'm trying to locate another wheel for my 1967 Bug kart since I have one that is broken. Being a newby, I don't know if this is a common wheel and what it might be called. The newer Bug Karts have the tri-star wheels but I'm pretty sure these are original to the kart and I want to keep the kart stock if possible. Any help would be very much appreciated. Also, if anyone has a wheel like this in good shape they are willing to part with, please let me know. Thanks
Attachments
wheel_2.jpg
(191.85 KiB) Downloaded 310 times
wheel_1.jpg
(175.46 KiB) Downloaded 310 times

Rob Voska

Re: Identifying wheels

Post by Rob Voska » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:30 am

Precision was the brand. Made in Michigan. They made lots of sizes. What do you need. They also used them on quarter midgets.

Randy Lewis
Vintage Karting items owned: 1967 Bug Sprint with MC 91-C

Post by Randy Lewis » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:19 am

Thanks Rob, I appreciate your expertise. Any idea if these wheels are original to Bug karts at some point in time or when they may have been produced? The wheels I have are all 5" and were mounted with 3.40/3.00-5 slicks when I found the kart a month ago. The width of the rim measures 4". The outside half of one of the rear wheels has a chunk out of it (the piece with the hole for the inner tube valve) so actually I guess I really only need that piece.

Chris Marchand
Vintage Karting items owned: to daggone many

Post by Chris Marchand » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:44 am

Randy, Welcome to the "tryin to find " world of vintage karting. I have a kart with the same wheels and same prob. One outer is chipped, not uncommon after 40 plus years ! I am wondering if there is a source that can fix/patch these ? Does anyone know if the street type wheel repair businesses will/can fix these ? Thx Chris

Dan Flanders
Vintage Karting items owned: Pimped out Yerf-Dog with 22" spinners

Post by Dan Flanders » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:00 am

Hey Chris and Randy-

Just a heads up that those rims are magnesium, so be cautious with use of a torch. If you find someone to weld it up make sure they know. Probably easier and cheaper to find a replacement, they aren't all that rare.

Don't think the Precision wheels were factory, but anything is possible. Most common rims for the Sprint were the Tri-Stars and Nylites.

Dan

ted johnson

Post by ted johnson » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:07 pm

Unless someone called Bug when they were building the kart, these were not factory rims. Either Nylites or Tri Stars were normally on Bugs in '67. Admittedly, K&P was always amenable to accepting special requests. Most of the Precisions came on quarter midgets, though I believe a few smaller volume manufacturers used them too. TJ