more ohio 'lost' tracks

Post all your vintage karting messages here in the General Discussion Forum

Moderator: Rob Voska

Butch Kavanagh

more ohio 'lost' tracks

Post by Butch Kavanagh » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:01 am

nelson ledges, later known as steel cities raceway, east of akron ohio---in the mid 60's had a series of sprint-enduro races. was a 1.1 mile road course late 2.2. they ran a series of 3heats, motorcross scoring, 6 or 8 laps. weight adjustments for the 'new' laydown karts. i remember the date so well, oct 8 1966. my girlfriend and i were late getting back home from practice for a 'family church picture'. my 65 gp with a wisco 820 was on the top tier of our trailor. there's this long uphill road leaving the track and as my 6cylinder mustang was chugging up the hill, i heard this noise. out the rearview mirror, in slooooow motion, my prized possession was bouncing end over end till it came to a rest at the bottom of the hill. in our haste, we forgot to tie down the kart. got back in time for the 'church' picture. my dad spent all nite repairing the kart. my mom-damn girlfriends(she was a fox). got to race the next day.. the church picture---well you can probably understand how it turned out......