I need help to i.d. kart

Post all your vintage karting messages here in the General Discussion Forum

Moderator: Rob Voska

josh carrell
Vintage Karting items owned: simplex, Sprint, bug wasp, Dart Kart A bone, Sears Kart, Hornet lP2 Enduro.

I need help to i.d. kart

Post by josh carrell » Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:25 pm

Well a friend of mine asked if I could help figure out what this kart is. It is in poor shape, but it was his as a child and he managed to keep it all of this time. I know it is a sears kart, but I do not know the model. If you can help it would be much appreciated.
Thank you
Josh

josh carrell
Vintage Karting items owned: simplex, Sprint, bug wasp, Dart Kart A bone, Sears Kart, Hornet lP2 Enduro.

Re: I need help to i.d. kart

Post by josh carrell » Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:27 pm

and here is a picture
Attachments
aaaa kart.JPG
(1.64 MiB) Downloaded 215 times

Mark Brubaker
Vintage Karting items owned: none that would do REAR proud. Sorry,,just bein' honest.

Post by Mark Brubaker » Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:37 pm

I don't know (or remember ) the model number either , but I had one like it as a kid. Off-white plastic steering wheel, "contour" slicks, enclosed live axle. I think your friends has had some changes welded in.....

I'm sure somebody else will reply with more "technical" input

Eddie Saurenman
Vintage Karting items owned: once a long time ago (1961) but looks for a rekindling!!!

Post by Eddie Saurenman » Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:18 am

Oh my! It looks like a early Sear Kart!!! Please see my post Hello rear engine carts for a picture of me with my kart in 1962 or so. I have been looking for one. Are you going restore it?? If you aren't I would be very interested in purchasing it from you. If you are going to restore it if I sent you some drawing would you please add in the dimension so I can build a replica?

This is great look forward to your response.

Eddie Saurenman

Eddie Saurenman
Vintage Karting items owned: once a long time ago (1961) but looks for a rekindling!!!

Post by Eddie Saurenman » Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:42 am

Just re-read your post I was so excited when I saw the picture I didn't read the post completely. I suspect your friend is not looking to sell it as it was his as a kid. But I had one just like it and am looking to at least building a replica. I can't remember if it had a name or model number but from Sears ads from back then the steering wheel was also used on the 1961 Sear 300 racing kart. I raced mine in "pee wee league" in 1962 with a 2 1/2 briggs.

I really hope that you can help me by taking enough dimensions off your friends kart so I can construct a replica accurately enough to satisfy the requirements of Rear Engine Karts guidelines. I wish I could have kept mine, but my family moved several times and it got left behind at some point.

Eddie Saurenman

Russ Smith
Vintage Karting items owned: 59 BugWasp; 60 GoKart800; Simplex: 60 MKII, 62 MKVI; 69 BugStinger; 67 LilIndian Minibike.

Post by Russ Smith » Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:14 pm

These karts come up for sale from time to time. With a little patience, you'll find what you're looking for. Probably a lot less hassle than building a repop and trying to hunt down all the correct parts. And, it will be original.