Calling all Century Speed Karts and their Owners!...Part One

Post all your vintage karting messages here in the General Discussion Forum

Moderator: Rob Voska

quentin haines

Calling all Century Speed Karts and their Owners!...Part One

Post by quentin haines » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:27 pm

On June 29, 1959, articles of incorporation were filed with the Ohio Secretary of State creating a business entity known as The Century Speed Kart Company, Galion, Ohio. Over the next several years, hundreds of Century Speed Karts were manufactured in Galion, but when the karting bubble began to burst in '61, like many of the early manufacturers, Century closed up shop to become but a footnote in the history of karting.

Sometime around '62 or '63, I saw an ad in a Columbus, Ohio, magazine, the "COLUMBUS STAR", announcing that the Century Speed Kart Company would be selling out its remaining inventory of karts and parts. The sale was done, and not long thereafter, the owner of the company and his family moved away from Galion. Later, the corporate charter of The Century Speed Kart Company was officially cancelled with the state; in '65 or '66, as I recall.

I never heard or read that a Century Speed Kart ever won an important regional or national race. The karts just weren't all that great. However, to a grade school kid like me growing up in Galion, a Century was the one you wanted to have.

Now 50 years later, I have the opportunity to write the history of karting in Galion and the story of The Century Speed Kart Company. In connection therewith, I would like to try and get a group picture of as many of the remaining Century karts and their owners as possible. With that goal in mind, I'd like to invite/ask all Century owners to bring their Century Speed Karts to The Big One in Fremont on Labor Day weekend for a photo session. (Now please go to my next post, Part Two)