kart storage

Post all your vintage karting messages here in the General Discussion Forum

Moderator: Rob Voska

Brian Thomas
Vintage Karting items owned: 61 Simplex MKII , 61 Fox Mak , 61 Fox , 67 Lancer,74 Kobra, Gokart 400, Unknown
User Agreement: Yes

kart storage

Post by Brian Thomas » Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:26 am

I am out of space , the garage is full of cars , parts , tools , ect. the shed is full of lawn equipment .
The basement has my wood working stuff in a 1/4 of it the laundry room in an other 1/4 . The other half is mostly kart stuff and it is getting full . If all the karts are on stands I dont have any place to work on one let alone more than one .
What I was thinking about doing was hanging them on the walls to free up some floor space .
My question is does anyone see any problems with hanging them by the bumpers or rear axles .
Thanks
Brian
Brian , Dottie and Shadow Thomas
Black Dog Vintage Racing
http://www.blackdogvintageracing.com
If there isn't a Black Dog hair in the bag it's not a Black Dog product
"Black Dog" ask for it by name

Tom Davis

Re: kart storage

Post by Tom Davis » Sun Sep 16, 2007 1:25 pm

Gettin the wife to HELP!!!.........

Brian Thomas
Vintage Karting items owned: 61 Simplex MKII , 61 Fox Mak , 61 Fox , 67 Lancer,74 Kobra, Gokart 400, Unknown

Post by Brian Thomas » Sun Sep 16, 2007 5:31 pm

She drives them also, so she can help with that . The hardest part is carrying them down the stairs .
Brian
Black Dog Vintage Racing

Rob Voska

Post by Rob Voska » Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:07 pm

Stand them on end against the wall. You can get 3 karts in the same floor space as one. Just put a rag over the steering wheel. Also you might want to take a piece of plywood and add some 2" x 2" blocks to keep them from sliding.

If I was going to hang them I would use a pully to make it easier.

Frank Payne
Vintage Karting items owned: lots a karts and engines

Post by Frank Payne » Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:11 pm

I hang 4 karts from the ceiling in my toy room. I used hooks from Menards, vinyl coated, and nylon straps around the rear bumpers. They've been up their for 2 years now and no problems.
Attachments
P1010004.JPG
(55.12 KiB) Downloaded 937 times

Dan Flanders
Vintage Karting items owned: Pimped out Yerf-Dog with 22" spinners

Post by Dan Flanders » Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:37 am

Hi Brian-
The answer seems pretty obvious to me....Get rid of the wood working tools!!! I mean table saws, band saws, jointers, planers....They are for WOOD and the last time I checked karts aren't made of wood :D

Viola, problem solved, more room for kart stuff.

Before a good friend introduced me to karting, I had a garage full of old wood working tools. The only thing I regret getting rid of was the 14" Walker Turner wood/metal band saw with a two speed gearbox. Boy, that was a beautiful machine, but at 600lbs of cast iron, it was a bit too big to haul across country.
If anyone is interested, check out Old Woodworking Machines (owwm.com). Similar disease, different flavor.

I've used hooks in the past, but it is a real pain to manhandle up and down the wall (I was trying to store an R-1 the D-9 dozer of the kart world). Great for long-term storage, but a real pain for anything other than static display.

I am in a similar situation and I thought that I might try rigging up a mini-block and tackle system to raise and lower the karts up the wall.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000PQ3JQ6/ref ... nkCode=asn
At 5:1 it should only take 20-25lb of pull to lift a kart up the wall.

Anyone else have any storage ideas? I was sure impressed by Virg Love's multi-stack set up in his trailer.

Dan

Russ Smith
Vintage Karting items owned: 59 BugWasp; 60 GoKart800; Simplex: 60 MKII, 62 MKVI; 69 BugStinger; 67 LilIndian Minibike.

Post by Russ Smith » Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:05 am

Gee guys, you can store some of your karts at my place! :lol:

ted johnson

Post by ted johnson » Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:27 pm

Wow, Ain't Russ a peach - always thinking of ways to help the other fellow! ;) Dan has the solution: get rid of everything that doesn't have the word "kart" in it, and concentrate on the important things in life! In my young days in Florida, we knew a guy who hung them from the ceiling, but in running attitude (horizontal) rather than vertical. TJ

Brian Thomas

Post by Brian Thomas » Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:55 pm

I just dont like paying anyone to do work for me , I dont get the quallity that I want and they charge alot . That is why I have wood working tools . If I do my own work then I have more money for karts . Right now I am trying to talk the wife out of buying a new couch so I spend the money on kart parts . There is a snow balls chance that will happen but I gotta try. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Brian
Black Dog Vintage Racing

Dewey Bagley
Vintage Karting items owned: 1960 Bug Wasp triple MC10's
1964 Dart GP dual 125's

Post by Dewey Bagley » Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:48 pm

In our trailer, we stand the karts on end with the rear tires nesteled in 1/2 circles of 12" diameter PVC about 6" wide, set up on 4X6 blocks (or 4X8 or whatever it takes to get the rear bumper off the floor). Then simply ratchet strap the front axle to the wall.