Moderator: Rob Voska

Jeff Campbell
Site Admin
Vintage Karting items owned: 1961 Fox Go-Boy MC20's
Robron Chaparral dual MC101
Margay Cheetah MKIII

Vertical Kart Stand Project

Post by Jeff Campbell » Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:47 pm

Here is a simple easy to make vertical kart stand that I made out of some scrap wood and hardware....

I posted the project on the VKA forum, since my first stand was for a sidewinder.

Here is the same stand with a rear engine kart on it....
vertical_stand_R1.jpg
I put 3" of wood under the rear frame member and ran the nylon strap around all of it. The stands works well with the Chaparral!
(90.47 KiB) Downloaded 1192 times
vertical_stand_R2.jpg
(83.38 KiB) Downloaded 1190 times
This thing is slick, one person can raise the kart onto the stand, and it gives you a whole new way to work on the underside of your kart.

Jeff

ted johnson

Re: Vertical Kart Stand Project

Post by ted johnson » Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:28 pm

Very nice, Jeff! With 3 karts in a very small living room, it would be worth building. My problem is not having woodworking tools. (no room). Maybe I will transfer the design into square tubing and do a Pro/E rendition! Thanks. Ted

Jeff Campbell
Site Admin
Vintage Karting items owned: 1961 Fox Go-Boy MC20's
Robron Chaparral dual MC101
Margay Cheetah MKIII

Post by Jeff Campbell » Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:00 pm

Ted,
If you want to make a metal one, try looking at some of the modern kart vertical stands for ideas. I really liked the one Turbo Tire Changer stand

that's just a couple examples, you can also Google: vertical kart stand

As for improvements to the design, the rear axle can turn, but an axle key rotating around will make it hard or impossible to rotate all the way. Maybe someone has an idea for that, something simple to allow the rear axle to be rotated, for working on the kart in the vertical position.

Jeff

CarlBuchanan

Post by CarlBuchanan » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:17 pm

Jeff,
About the axle turning in the stand- how about a 2 piece aluminum axle collar w/keyway slot on the axle.
Then since you need to increase the size of "slot" in the stand make it large enough for a flange bushing ( cut in half) that the axle collar can rotate on in the slot. Oil every 3,000 miles.
Carl

Victor Pollaccia
Vintage Karting items owned: 61 bug

Post by Victor Pollaccia » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:06 pm

Jeff,
Nice stand and a good afternoon project to do,seeing how I just got another kart and room is tight.
Vic.

ted johnson

Post by ted johnson » Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:38 am

I did a Pro/E redesign on the rear crossbar of my RLV rollaround stand, and I'm fabricating it as we speak. I made a dual adjustable roller setup using waterjet cut parts, square tubing and steel skate wheels from McMaster Carr. The roller verticals adjust in and out for various configurations of engine mounts/gearboxes, and pin in place with ball pins. Looks like it'll work great, it's light and fairly cheap to build. Next, the vertical! I like that Turbo Tire Changer. Your wood unit really looks great. A fella could make it nice and varnish it, and make a piece of furniture of it!. I still wonder if the average wife would want vertical karts in the living room! TJ

Ron Reaves
Vintage Karting items owned: 65 GrandPrix/Mc92, A-Bone/Mc91, Rupp D300, Sears R300, Putt Nik, Panther X & Concept
User Agreement: Yes

Post by Ron Reaves » Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:10 am

Ted, years ago (about 1969 or 70) I was in the Air Force and lived in the barracks. I brought my R-1 up the stairs of the barracks building to the 3rd floor and put it in my room. I stood it up vertically against the wall of my barracks room when I was not in the room. After the next barracks inspection the First Sergeant called me into his office and challenged me about it. We made a deal, he said if I would let him have a ride on it, I could keep it there. However, I would have to run a lamp cord and install a light bulb on it and call it a lamp.

I gave him a ride and I was able to keep it in there the entire year and a half I was in Albuquerque (Sandia Base, near Kirtland AFB). ...

No, my wife is not that understanding. The garage is as close as i can get. ...Ron

ted johnson

Post by ted johnson » Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:07 pm

Hey, Ron. I'm writing this from my computer at Sandia Labs. I get to listen to the Kirtland F-18s and F-16s every day here! I live in Bosque Farms about 15 miles south of here. I have both the Van Tech and the Bug Sprint in my living room, thanks to a very hip landlord (and no wife...). I build engines on a rubber mat on the kitchen table, and have my meager power tools in the tiny storage room off the living room. It works! Ted

Ron Reaves
Vintage Karting items owned: 65 GrandPrix/Mc92, A-Bone/Mc91, Rupp D300, Sears R300, Putt Nik, Panther X & Concept
User Agreement: Yes

Post by Ron Reaves » Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:05 pm

Cool, I spent a total of 10 years in Albuquerque. All on Sandia Base. I worked 5 of those years at the Air Force Operational Test and Evaluation Center (AFOTEC). I don't know if it is still there or not. I used to go to the Monzano mountain complex when it was a sensitive area. I met and married my wife while I was there. I bought a new car at Bosque Farms once. The kart track was on Central Ave. (old Rt 66) up "nine mile hill" just past Al Unser's salvage yard. What is the main focas of Sandia Labs these days?....Ron

ted johnson

Post by ted johnson » Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:49 pm

Hi, Ron. Sandia is diverse beyond my knowledge. Lots of energy research, both nuclear and non nuclear. I'm designing flight hardware and tools for satellites. Seems like we suddenly need lots of tools to snake into areas that shouldn't be accessable. Kirtland is busy all the time.
There's a kart track out on west Central now. It's long and narrow. You can rent time there to run even unmuffled vintage machines. I have only been there a couple of times. I have nobody here to help me run, so i don't go out. Cheers! Ted