kart i.d. please

Post all your vintage karting messages here in the General Discussion Forum

Moderator: Rob Voska

david a luciani
Vintage Karting items owned: gk800 -r1 -gilson excalibar -rupp concept dual,concept,Cheetah ll, panther -Bug
User Agreement: Yes

kart i.d. please

Post by david a luciani » Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:17 pm

hi,
for once i was faster than others.
what kart did i buy besides a bunch of engines.
though for the price i paid it almost doesn't matter. :twisted:
D 8-)
Attachments
3n03k53l4ZZZZZZZZZ93s9542c28559491444.jpg
(7.58 KiB) Downloaded 1236 times
3n23p83l2ZZZZZZZZZ93s80b0edd0d5001c53.jpg
(6.67 KiB) Downloaded 1236 times
3pa3of3l6ZZZZZZZZZ93s1fd9e2e3cae9152f.jpg
(6.73 KiB) Downloaded 1236 times

Dan Flanders
Vintage Karting items owned: Pimped out Yerf-Dog with 22" spinners

Re: kart i.d. please

Post by Dan Flanders » Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:10 am

Hmmm. Just a guess, but it has some elements of an early dead axle Blitz (front axle bracing and cast pedals?) with a Track Rabbit quarter midget front bumper.

You've got quite the collection going Dave, any tips on how to sweet talk She Who Must Be Obeyed? ;) Jewelry? Kind words? Begging? Swearing off purchasing more karts? Tropical vacations? Haven't tried jewelry or vacations yet, but it may come to that if I anymore decide to follow me home.

david a luciani
Vintage Karting items owned: gk800 -r1 -gilson excalibar -rupp concept dual,concept,Cheetah ll, panther -Bug

Post by david a luciani » Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:30 pm

Hi Dan,
i was leaning towards a blitz kart myself for the i.d.
they were made in Long Island New York and these are in Pa.
here's another that was offered to me .
get-attachment-1.jpg
(101.69 KiB) Downloaded 94 times
get-attachment-2.jpg
(116.65 KiB) Downloaded 79 times
get-attachment.jpg
(97.83 KiB) Downloaded 70 times
it may be mine depending on the economy of the price.
on karts and parts - you have no idea.
i've lost count of my karts along the way but it's probably hovering around 25.
i've got mcculloch engines and parts everywhere.
it does help that i have several places i keep my stuff as far as the BOSS!!!!! goes.
i do have several suggestions for the BOSS!!!!! conflict avoidance issue.
First you need to work alot so you have spare money.
then and this is tricky you have to explain away the money.
i've found it's safer to claim beer expenses or excessive lunches rather than Karts.
in fact a spare girly would be easier to explain than another kart at this point. :oops:
or you need to be self employed and understate billed receivables to the BOSS!!!!!
the point is to stash alot money on the side.
of course if the BOSS!!!!! can add you may have trouble "xxplainin" the 22 (or so) motors that she actually found in one place aaand knows cost at least 200 each. :)
put the parts/karts in multiple places
it helps in presenting a small pile instead of a large barnful.(it also prevents accurate counts)
anyway, we all know very few complete motors actually go for 200. ;)
which comes to my third good and very best method .
always understate cost of parts!!!
it's really important to show you great deals and develop amnesia on the ones you spent a bit more than you planned.
if you feel bad about these sneaky methods remember most BOSSES!!! employ these very same methods when it comes to shoes and designer clothing.
if you're in doubt check under the bed for the "spare purse box/belt box / sneaker collection ect. ect.
also check spare closets and such.
knowing her stashes will help if the conversation gets to hot about your "kart problem".
you should be very careful using this intel as it can backfire in various ways. :o
anyway i've got to run as i've a brown truck box or two to stash.
hope this helps dave

Chris Marchand
Vintage Karting items owned: to daggone many

Post by Chris Marchand » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:38 pm

David , Any Mc 8 s in your collection that you might sell ? I am finishing up a 64 G Prix and want to put the same thing on it I raced when i was a kid. Thx Chris

david a luciani

Post by david a luciani » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:22 am

i'll look to be sure but i think that i don't have a complete mc8 or even a block.
i may have the correct crank.
you could run a 7 or 9 as they look very much the same.
correct me if i'm wrong but i think except for slight differences they are built with the same spec as to stroke and bore.
i know most of the parts interchange throughout the 7,8,9,91 series.
i may have a mc7 i'd spare but i think it's ported kinda radical.
i know i have one mc9 hanging around too.
it's a complete motor that i haven't even taken the manifold off of yet!!!
so it may or may not have been ported.
send me a p.m. and i'll shoot you my number and we can chat.
of course i may have one in the set i just bought.
i'll know more thursday after i pick them up.
dave

Butch Kavanagh

Post by Butch Kavanagh » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:40 am

dave, where were you in my day (1962-1989) ?? all those suggestions. i used to try a blank expression, never worked. a classic writing, going to print and add to my srapbook, thanks butch

Brian Thomas
Vintage Karting items owned: 61 Simplex MKII , 61 Fox Mak , 61 Fox , 67 Lancer,74 Kobra, Gokart 400, Unknown

Post by Brian Thomas » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:37 pm

Just get her into driving vintage karts and the check book opens up ,,,, especially when its for one that she wants to run .
:o :o :o

Brian
Brian , Dottie and Shadow Thomas
Black Dog Vintage Racing
http://www.blackdogvintageracing.com
If there isn't a Black Dog hair in the bag it's not a Black Dog product
"Black Dog" ask for it by name

Dan Flanders
Vintage Karting items owned: Pimped out Yerf-Dog with 22" spinners

Post by Dan Flanders » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:34 pm

Hey Brian-
You definitely have a keeper :D . Having to divvy up seat time with a partner as eager to drive as you are is surely a good problem to have.

Dave, I've used a combination of your techniques with a couple of variations.
1) Send parts directly to a friends house (and vice versa)
2) Store parts at a friends house (provided the friend doesn't have the same lack of storage issues)
3) Use the old "I am just holding on to it for a friend"

I am VERY lucky in that I have an understanding wife with a sense of humor.
She didn't get it until I got her in a kart and she started taking laps. By about the 5 or 6 lap she had my 91 wide open down the straights. I finally got the 'Wow, that is fun' concession statement, but failed to get documentary evidence to be used at a later date.

Dan

david a luciani

Post by david a luciani » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:19 pm

Guys,
i like this thread as i am getting ideas that may help in a pinch. :lol:

around here there's only one nut that has vintage karts--- me .
so the friend's stuff gambit won't work.
Besides when i was piling up my Harley's i used that and since there seems to be three or four that are "mysteriously still here" a direct BOSS!!! statement it probably wouldn't work twice.

Getting her to run a kart is my ultimate goal but i draw the line at painting it hot pink!!!
it's probably is a pipe dream though cause i tried giving her a Harley bike and she said she prefered to be a passenger.

Anyway i personally like the challenge of having a collection and not getting caught red handed.
That fear helps me edit bad purchases when i see a kart i just gotta have to reflect on issues such as storage , funding and xxplainin.
plus as i usually seem to find them at least three hours away.
so i need to figure out how to disappear for big blocks of time.
my latest find is in Pa. a mere 4 hr ride down so i need to "lose" 9 hours.
not easy when you have a pocket leash (cell phone).
once we were just getting back in state from a trip to New Jersey when the darn celli rang.
i managed to blame a traffic jam up on my lateness and skinned by.
But that kinda luck is rare.
It's all for the best though.
without the BOSS!!!! govenor on my purchase engine i'd be buying everything i found
there'd be a few hundred karts lying around. :D
my bills wouldn't get paid and i'd soon be bankrupt. :shock:
still one can dream.
D 8-)

Russ Smith
Vintage Karting items owned: 59 BugWasp; 60 GoKart800; Simplex: 60 MKII, 62 MKVI; 69 BugStinger; 67 LilIndian Minibike.

Post by Russ Smith » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:35 am

And here I thought I was alone with this little problem. After constant scrutiny everytime the FedEx truck made an appearance, I've learned to "lie in wait" for an expected delivery......and then do a quick sprint, with the package, into the back of the shop. Then I can use the old " oh that??? I've had that for YEARS!" gambit. Of course, you must immediately destroy any invoices and evidence of the shipping date. Keep a secret slush fund that she has no knowledge of, as they tend to check all the bank accounts from time to time. When Forward Air calls to announce the arrival of a shipment, play it off like it's a fishing buddy. .........if she answers the phone, play dumb! Use the, " it must be a mistake" excuse. Make SURE you prep any people you've purchaed from whom she may run into at future events.
My goal is the Brian Thomas, Mike Hartman, et.al. approach of getting her into a kart for a few laps. That solves most of the above issues but raises another one..........you run the risk of her commandeering one of the karts. Try to steer her towards your least favorite.
If all else fails, then falling back to the old standards is your final option: New furniture, new appliances, lots of flowers, a shopping spree, etc. etc. ;)