Margay New Breed Rear Axle

Post all your vintage karting messages here in the General Discussion Forum

Moderator: Rob Voska

Dick Teal
Vintage Karting items owned: 1959 Mak-Kart, 1960Fox 60L, 1961 Fox (2), 1962 Fox, 1963 Fox, 1964 Fox, Margay New Breed
User Agreement: Yes

Margay New Breed Rear Axle

Post by Dick Teal » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:42 pm

The Margay New Breed I'm restoring came with the shortest axle I have ever seen. It measures 29.5 inches long overall and 26.5 inches from step to step.

My first question is if anyone makes one that short today that I can buy. I can always get a shop to make one if necessary.

The second question is if anyone has ever driven a kart with this short of an axle? It would seem that the kart would be pretty loose in the corners.

The third question is if anyone knows what axle width was standard on the New Breed? The kart I have had what looks to be a Rupp swing mount and not a gearbox. I plan to use a single gearbox for the restoration; I have too many duals in my fleet today.

Any help would be appreciated,

Dick Teal

Ronald Cubel
Vintage Karting items owned: Xterminator Kart
Rathmann Kart
Exterminator Kart

Re: Margay New Breed Rear Axle

Post by Ronald Cubel » Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:30 am

Dick,
What is the wheel offset to the outside and inside. With margay wheels the rim spacing works into the setup. example 3in outside rim half with 1 inch inside half uses a shorter axle then a 2in outside half with a 2 inch inside half to get the same track width.
Lots of other factors inter into this.
Ron

Dick Teal
Vintage Karting items owned: 1959 Mak-Kart, 1960Fox 60L, 1961 Fox (2), 1962 Fox, 1963 Fox, 1964 Fox, Margay New Breed

Post by Dick Teal » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:26 am

Ron,

The kart had 2 inch wheel halfs on the inside and 2.5 inch on the outside. The result is that it seems still way narrow but maybe it needs this to turn. I suppose that I could use the 36 inch axles that are available and see what happens.

Dick

Ronald Cubel
Vintage Karting items owned: Xterminator Kart
Rathmann Kart
Exterminator Kart

Post by Ronald Cubel » Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:54 am

I started with a 36 inch axel 2 inch outers and 1.5 inch inners with 11 x 600 tires at 23 Ibs. You will have to get someone to post that has been running one to get more info....ron

George Sellon

Post by George Sellon » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:53 am

Dick, if you don't get a length from someone I have a pair of 1" sliding hubs and a pair of three hole one piece wheels that you could us to decide what length axle worked best then buy/build what you need. I'm pretty sure I even have a 40" axle you could throw in there and you know were we can test it.
kart54.com

Dick Teal

Post by Dick Teal » Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:07 pm

George,

You're supposed to be running at Barnsville not looking at the net; have a great time and say hi to Ernie for me.

I just received a great piece of Margay literature that gives the axle length as 30 inches. It's the same for all of the versions they built from A to C Open classes. It also lists the inside & outside wheel halfs and tire size. The A & B limited class had 2.5 inch wide x 10 inch diameter tires on all four corners. I'm going to have to ponder this decision; it could be fun to set it up as produced. I tend to forget that a lot of early karts had narrow tires all around.

Thanks for the offer and have fun,

Dick

Brian Thomas
Vintage Karting items owned: 61 Simplex MKII , 61 Fox Mak , 61 Fox , 67 Lancer,74 Kobra, Gokart 400, Unknown

Post by Brian Thomas » Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:46 pm

Hi Dick
Could you foward or post that lit. ?
Thanks
Brian
Brian , Dottie and Shadow Thomas
Black Dog Vintage Racing
http://www.blackdogvintageracing.com
If there isn't a Black Dog hair in the bag it's not a Black Dog product
"Black Dog" ask for it by name

Bill Pryor
Vintage Karting items owned: 1961 Italkart and others

Post by Bill Pryor » Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:11 pm

Brian Thomas wrote:Hi Dick
Could you foward or post that lit. ?
Thanks
Brian

Hi Guys,

The doc Dick got is on the kartingarchives.com site. Remember to always check on the archives site when you're looking for stuff like this, and also if something isn't up there you need, let me know, as we still have 1000's of pages of lit to upload to the site and it will literally be years before we get it all up. When someone needs something we have that isn't up there, we bump it up in the priority and get it up. If you want to find this particular piece of literature on the Margay, click on the Brochures link under Archives on any page, then put Margay in the search box. It's called 1967 Margay New Breed Brochure.

Remember, the archives site is not a "competitor" to this site or any other vintage site. We're strictly there to help anyone out that needs doc for a restore, or any other reason they may need some old karting information.

Bill
Bill Pryor
Karting Archives Administrator