louie figone
Vintage Karting items owned: Single/twin 67 Chaparrals
69 A bone/Model J/62 Fox
WB/820s/610s/580V5
PP58/61/82/KL100
User Agreement: Yes

Re: Copperhead and Vintage Con rods

Post by louie figone » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:44 am

And when using the ARP bolts they can be reused, and be sure you torque them to 115 in lbs. They are cheap insurance. All of the Copperhead and Vintage 820's come with the good rod bolts now, yours may have had the std socket head cap screws as it was one of the first engines out in the field.
Did Dave get in touch with you? He knows of your plight.

Louie

mcbob
Vintage Karting items owned: Everything Mac but a Kart but who know's ?

Post by mcbob » Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:14 pm

Thanks Louie ........ Yep still awaiting Daves responce to my email order for a new piston assy and if he does email me i'll order the special bolts at the same time as i'm keen to get this puppy back in fighting order as i hate looking at boxes of bits as heck this is a very potent saw.

The SP820 second from the left at the Australian Nationals Nov 08

Mc Bent Bender Bob.

mcbob

Post by mcbob » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:03 pm

ted johnson wrote:McBob and Rick - The 320 KSI ARP fasteners are FAR stronger than the McCulloch spline head bolts. These were developed by the best known racing fastener company in the world. Talk to Dave Bonbright. I had Dave shorten a set especially for my 101, to replace the brand new spline heads in my new rod. Standard socket heads are generally 180 KSI, and I believe the spline heads are 210-240 KSI tensile. The ARP alloy and fabrication methods are much better. TJ
Ted do you have a part number or id number on Daves Bolts as i maybe able to source them local

Bob.

ted johnson

Post by ted johnson » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:10 pm

Bob, I'm sorry, but I've been getting them from Dave in a "plain brown wrapper". You may be able to dig around in ARP's website and find them. The security settings on the Government computer here at the Lab won't let me view the on line catalog. Here 'tis: http://video.arp-bolts.com/catalog/ARPCatalog.pdf. Good hunting! TJ

Tom Davis

Post by Tom Davis » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:20 pm

Guy's,

When a high carbon fastner is torqued to or approaching 75% of it's tensile strength....it stretches (measureably) and the second part of this equation=...ONLY ONCE. :o

New threaded fastners, all the way..every time.

Tom

louie figone
Vintage Karting items owned: Single/twin 67 Chaparrals
69 A bone/Model J/62 Fox
WB/820s/610s/580V5
PP58/61/82/KL100
User Agreement: Yes

Post by louie figone » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:38 pm

OK Guys, here is the latest from Dave, they are not made by ARP, before the Vintage 820 and Copperhead came out the rod bolts were made for Dave and had a splined head, they are now made for US Motor by the same manufacture that made them for Dave but now have the Allen head drive. They are made of a multi-phase material and can be re-used multiple times, I have been re-using them and have had no problems as Dave also re-uses them in his own engines. Any one who has seen Dave or my engines run know that we do not baby them, I have never had a rod or rod bolt failure.
The bolts are made by MS Aerospace Industries and are available through US Motor or Dave Bonbright. It is a US Motor part and only made for them.
McBob- 90 in lbs torque should not have been the problem, 110-115 in lbs is the recommended torque. Be sure you use a late style rod, all West Bend rods have used the same part # through out the years but the new style is stronger with much more material. When you talk to Dave have him make a set of loose wrist pin needle bearings with thrust washers and spacers for you, that is a weak area in the engine, the caged wrist pin bearings will eat out the sides of the torrington bearing retainer and then the needles let loose. Dave has not been able to get on his computer but said he will make sure he does tonight or tomorrow morning. Or you can try calling him at 707-938-8122, best time to call is 2-5 PM Pacific Std Time.

Louie

mcbob

Post by mcbob » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:44 pm

That helps clear up a few things ........... thanks Louie

Mc Bob.

ted johnson

Post by ted johnson » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:41 am

Hi, Louie! Well, I'll be da**ed! Dave told me they were ARP! Thanks for the correction! All I know is that they're probably the best I've ever seen. I know how YOU stress them! TJ

mcbob

Post by mcbob » Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:08 pm

Thanks Rick i got a phone call in a Texas accent last night at around 7pm from your mate Speedy, the TexasUS820.com drawl had me tossed but being an Aussie i listened hard and did a bit of learning and you fellas sound funny just like we do to you fellas and i suppose the experiance was equal.

And this morning there was the email in print of the nights conversation thanks Speedy.
Man i luv that Texas drawl .........................

Mc Bob.