McCulloch Dimensions

Post all your vintage karting messages here in the General Discussion Forum

Moderator: Rob Voska

ted johnson

McCulloch Dimensions

Post by ted johnson » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:13 pm

Please, does anyone have an accurate dimension set for the 4 hole pattern on the P.T.O. side of the 101's? I want to waterjet cut a pair of special side mount plates for the karts Charlie and I are repop-ing. I can measure off my crankcase, but I'd like a really accurate pattern, and I don't trust measuring from threaded holes! Thanks! Ted Johnson

steveohara
Vintage Karting items owned: 1969 Bug Sprint Mc 91B1
1965 Dart Gran Prix twin Mc100s
1963 Bug Scorpion ESll Mc45

Re: McCulloch Dimensions

Post by steveohara » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:06 am

Ted,

Got your email, thought I would reply here. I don't have any prints with dimensions that would help but I might be able to get one made pretty easy. I have a GEM side mount that goes with the Dart Uni mount and I'm going to drop by a friends shop where they make optical based coordinate measuring machines and ask for a demo.... they should be able to take the part I have and produce a scaled drawing with all dimensions in a snap.
If I'm succesful I'll post the info here.
Regards,
Steve O'Hara

ted johnson

Post by ted johnson » Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:24 pm

Steve, seems no matter what Mac information the gang might need, you come up with a way to supply it! I will be glad to reimburse you for whatever expense you may incur. I have made the engine mounts for the Swoopsters both with standard mounting slots, plus the 2-stud mounting on the side like a Unimount. The side plates need the engine hole pattern clocked in order that the header clears the chain, and also that the carb clears the seatback. They're also taller than the GEM or West Bend plates, as the swing mount is both forward and below the rear axle. A tough combo! I will make a CAD file with the hole pattern, and make a PDF from that, and will ask Jeff C. if he'll post it on REAR. If he will do that, anybody can use the numbers! Thanks for the effort, however it comes out. Ted

steveohara

Post by steveohara » Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:31 am

Ted,

Sorry this took so long. Here is a drawing created by a Starrett/Kinemetric optical measuring system taken from an actual Rupp side mount plate. Be sure to note that the drawing is presenting the part as it looks from the side that faces the motor, not the side you see when the mount is placed on the engine. Also note the red and blue lines that depict the center line of the bore and the location where the fins get deeper and extend out beyond the plane of the mounting bosses.
Hope this helps.
Regards,
Steve O'Hara

ted johnson

Post by ted johnson » Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:33 am

Wow, Steve! I really thank you! What do I owe you for this effort? My pal, Charlie and I will waterjet a couple of odd-shaped plates to put our Macs on the Swoopster repo's as low and far back as possible. I will make a Pro/Engineer file, modify the outside shape, figure the optimum angle for the engine for header/chain clearance, and have a go! If you should ever need a DXF file to have something waterjet cut, please don't hesitate to give a yell. Thank you again! Ted :D

steveohara

Post by steveohara » Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:30 pm

Ted,
You don't owe me anything, my pleasure to help the vintage karting community.
I have the drawing in a .slddrw file I can send you if that will save you any time. I can also probably get the drawing converted to a .pdf file which would help with viewing. Unfortunately, my photo hosting service requires the images be limited to 640 pixles wide and I had to compress the original scan a lot to get the image posted. I'll have to wait until Moday for the .pdf conversion.
Regards,
Steve

ted johnson

Post by ted johnson » Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:13 pm

No need for a PDF on my account, Steve. I only needed the dimensions to create a Pro/E CAD file. As soon as I make it full scale, I'll glue it onto a piece of Masonite, then I can begin fooling around with the outside shape to fit the karts and clear the fins. A PDF might be nice so it could posted on the Technical page here on REAR so that others could take advantage of your kindness. I will make the CAD file Monday morning. I just assembled my engine mount side plates, flangettes and bearings, so as soon as the engine is assembled far enough to be of use, I will be ready to make the final side plate. Once again, I thank you greatly! Ted J.

steveohara

Post by steveohara » Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:31 am

Ted,

I have sent a .pdf file to Jeff for posting on the vintage kart web sites. It will be easier to read and should print in proper scale in case someone wants to use the drawing as a simple pattern.
Regards,
Steve

ted johnson

Post by ted johnson » Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:44 am

Great work, Steve! I may be the only one who wants to make his own side plates, but maybe not! Anyhow, the more info there is out there, the better for all of us. Thank you once again. ;) Ted

ted johnson

Post by ted johnson » Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:09 pm

Hi again, Steve! I made a CAD file this morning of the hole pattern you sent of the 101, and a Cad file of the lower part of the side plate which I'd previously designed. I sent the converted DXF files to my favorite waterjet cutting place a few minutes ago. They'll make the two trial pieces of .125 steel sheet. Will bolt the upper to the engine, the lower to my swing mount and position the engine to best advantage. I will clamp the two halves together, drill and bolt, then measure the final product. I will then make a CAD file of the final and have it waterjet cut of .250 steel! Thank you so much for the measurements. The Swoopster is going to make a very nice rig, in large part due to the great vintage karters! TJ