Who can bore and hone Clinton cylinders?

Post all your vintage karting messages here in the General Discussion Forum

Moderator: Rob Voska

Terry Sullivan
Vintage Karting items owned: 4 Bugs, including the Wasp bought by my Dad in 1959. Many Clintons and a few Macs
User Agreement: Yes

Who can bore and hone Clinton cylinders?

Post by Terry Sullivan » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:37 pm

I have at least 3 Clinton chainsaw and E65 blocks that I would like to have bored. Most shops won't touch them because the head and block are one unit ( blind-hole boring ).
Anybody know of a shop that can handle this?

Thanks, Terry
terryas@mindspring.com

joelwey

Re: Who can bore and hone Clinton cylinders?

Post by joelwey » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:10 pm

Try Terry Ives at TI Industries,he can do the West Bend round cylinder engines,he may have a jig to mount those up also.
regards,Joel

Terry Sullivan
Vintage Karting items owned: 4 Bugs, including the Wasp bought by my Dad in 1959. Many Clintons and a few Macs

Post by Terry Sullivan » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:49 am

Joel,
Thanks for the reply.
I checked with Terry Ives a few months ago and he wasn't able to do Clintons YET. I'll give him another shout.

I found a place that can bore them, but they don't think they can hone them. They are afraid that the hone will hit the combustion chamber and ruin the hone and/or the head.

Another shop may be able to do it. They are checking to see if they can find the tooling they used before.

I could just put them together with a light hand hone and use Clinton Chrome rings, but I want these babies to be right.

Thanks,
Terry

Rob Voska

Post by Rob Voska » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:34 pm

They make offset stones for the hones and a piece of plastic or tin is forced into the top of the cylinder to keep the stones from getting cought in the combustion chamber.

Have you tried any REALLY GOOD small engine shops? Lots of chain saws have that style of cylinder.

HEY WHere's McBob? This is his area.

Terry Sullivan

Post by Terry Sullivan » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:59 pm

Rob,

I'm looking for those good shops. I have a few leads and I have my fingers crossed. When I find one, I'll post it.

Terry

Rob Voska

Post by Rob Voska » Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:00 pm

Thank you Terry. That is what this forun is all about. People helping share info with other people. Don't matter if it's a picture or a part. I want to thank everyone that conducts themselves like an adult here. Lots of forums have degenerated into unreadable drivel.