Chrysler (West Bend) 500 Rookie Engine

Post all your vintage karting messages here in the General Discussion Forum

Moderator: Rob Voska

Terry Armstrong
Vintage Karting items owned: (2) 63 Bug Wasps, Mc9 & West Bend 500 . 72 Bug Stinger, Mc49E.
User Agreement: Yes

Chrysler (West Bend) 500 Rookie Engine

Post by Terry Armstrong » Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:29 pm

I have just picked a NOS Chrysler (West Bend) 500 rookie engine for my sons kart. Does anyone have any literature or information on this little engine?

I'd like to know if mufflers or mounts from the 610 or 820 will fit this engine? Also need information on clutches that will fit. It's got a straight stepped shaft without a keyway and a course left hand thread at the end.

Any information will be appreciated.

louie figone
Vintage Karting items owned: Single/twin 67 Chaparrals
69 A bone/Model J/62 Fox
WB/820s/610s/580V5
PP58/61/82/KL100

Re: Chrysler (West Bend) 500 Rookie Engine

Post by louie figone » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:03 pm

Terry-
I have a specification sheet for the 50006 and 500014, email me and I will send you copies.
GEM made an adapter for the exhaust so you could run a Horstman or Quiet-one exhaust. Contact Vince Hughes, he had some of these engines and had one mounted on a Grand Prix at Riverside a couple of years ago, he can probably help you out.
Does your engine have the intake on the bottom or side of the crankcase?

Louie
louiemtb@aol.com

Terry Armstrong
Vintage Karting items owned: (2) 63 Bug Wasps, Mc9 & West Bend 500 . 72 Bug Stinger, Mc49E.

Post by Terry Armstrong » Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:46 pm

Louie,

Thank you so much, I'll e-mail you for the spec sheets. The carburetor mounts on the side of the engine, I'll bet I got the industrial version!

Anyway, I'll be mounting this engine on a 1963 Bug Wasp for my sons to get started in vintage karting. I'm going to need a clutch, engine mount and muffler. I like the horstman muffler, if it will fit and I can afford one :shock: ! I'll contact Vince Hughes as you suggested.

Thanks again.

Dan Flanders
Vintage Karting items owned: Pimped out Yerf-Dog with 22" spinners

Post by Dan Flanders » Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:51 pm

Hey Terry-
I bet your boy freaked when he found that kart under the Christmas tree. That is definitely every little boys dream to have his own race car. I think I have one of the adapters Louie spoke of. Let me know what the C to C measurement are and if it fits you are welcome to it. Horstman muffler wise, it would probably be more expensive than the whole motor.... We'll have to have a test and tune day before too long so we can shake out all the Bugs (pun intended). There is one another new Bug in the area and I know he's dying to drive ASAP.

Dan