Painted exhaust pipes

Post all your vintage karting messages here in the General Discussion Forum

Moderator: Rob Voska

philrock
Vintage Karting items owned: Mc101 engines
1977 Hartman Blue Streak

Painted exhaust pipes

Post by philrock » Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:45 am

I'm setting up a kart with twin Mc101s and RLV Blimp exhaust pipes. I'm thinking about painting the pipes black with engine paint - I've seen a few painted pipes on vintage karts, though never on a modern kart. It certainly would look better than bare heat-discolored steel, and it would spare me my ritual of dosing the pipes with WD-40 every time I come in off the track (the WD-40 gets all over everything, including the brakes).

The paint would certainly change the thermal situation, and I wondered if there might be some down side to it.

Comments, suggestions, paint recommendations, etc. would be appreciated.

Randy Forbes
Vintage Karting items owned: McCulloch R1 #R1 3505 3144
User Agreement: Yes

Re: Painted exhaust pipes

Post by Randy Forbes » Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:27 am

Why not try this? http://www.caswellplating.com/aids/tech ... ml#exhaust

It's a black satin finish that's also a thermal barrier.

Jeff Campbell
Site Admin
Vintage Karting items owned: 1961 Fox Go-Boy MC20's
Robron Chaparral dual MC101
Margay Cheetah MKIII

Post by Jeff Campbell » Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:50 am

Black barbeque paint, works great, have used it for decades on pipes. I tried a colored one once, but it dis-colored and the oil cooking on it did not look great, a black colored paint hides all that.

I believe there is some evidence to support performance improvement from thermal barriers on the header pipe leading into the expansion pipe, but not so much so on the expansion chamber itself. A high temp fabric is available for wrapping header pipes to provide insulation (much better than an paint could do), but it doesn't look vintage of course. I'm sure if you ran a kart with an unpainted header-pipe, then painted them, nobody could tell the performance change when running on a track.

Jeff

ted johnson

Post by ted johnson » Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:26 pm

I used VHT brand high heat paint on expansion chambers for years. It is perfect. I used to paint a large area with yellow, blended into red, heat cure that in an old oven, then mask stars and spray the remainder flat black. After the star masks were removed, I heat cured the pipe again. After it cools, you can "buff" the pipe with coarse cloth and get a very nice semi sheen. The pipes last for years. In fact, I think my pal Charlie may still have one of my star-painted Blimps from the street race days. The stuff is available from most speed shops. Cheap and easy! Ted

philrock
Vintage Karting items owned: Mc101 engines
1977 Hartman Blue Streak

Post by philrock » Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:25 pm

This is great news - thanks for all your help, guys.

Brian Thomas
Vintage Karting items owned: 61 Simplex MKII , 61 Fox Mak , 61 Fox , 67 Lancer,74 Kobra, Gokart 400, Unknown
User Agreement: Yes

Post by Brian Thomas » Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:28 pm

There was a post over on Bob's about why you should not put a finish on a pipe . Something about sonic waves and resonance .
Brian , Dottie and Shadow Thomas
Black Dog Vintage Racing
http://www.blackdogvintageracing.com
If there isn't a Black Dog hair in the bag it's not a Black Dog product
"Black Dog" ask for it by name

ted johnson

Post by ted johnson » Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:47 am

Hi, Brian! I've run them both ways dozens of times and cannot tell one whit of difference. A heavy coating like powdercoat might cut power due to a resonance damping effect, but I'd be willing to bet that with a product like VHT or BBQ paint in thin coats, you will never know it's there, except it looks better :) . I won lots of races against bigger engines (open 101 against BM-130's and B-Bombs) with a colored pipe! BTW, I'm still measuring Ramos; cylinder openings aren't easy. Ted