Sidewinder ID

Post all your vintage karting messages here in the General Discussion Forum

Moderator: Rob Voska

Scott Kneisel
Vintage Karting items owned: '63 Rupp Grand Prix, 66 Rupp Chappy, Mc6's, Mc8, Mc10's, Mc20's
Lotsa' other Macs
User Agreement: Yes

Sidewinder ID

Post by Scott Kneisel » Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:12 pm

Sidewinder3s.JPG
(41.48 KiB) Downloaded 456 times
Sidewinder2s.JPG
(39.38 KiB) Downloaded 456 times
Sidewinder1s.JPG
(36.54 KiB) Downloaded 456 times
I just picked this up from a friend. I have no idea what brand or model it is. It has a Margay rear axle and some similar Margay features. It has a 40" wheelbase like my Panther X but the frame is about an inch and a half narrower.

I want to restore it but really need to know what it is because it has homemade spindles and steering gear. I need to put correct stuff there.

I'm stumped, if anyone has input it would be greatly appreciated.
Scott

Pete Cioruch
Vintage Karting items owned: My original Rupp Grand Prix

Re: Sidewinder ID

Post by Pete Cioruch » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:28 am

Scott: I just happen to have a Kart (in parts) that looks very much the same. It looks like a Coyote Kart There is a bolt in rubber mounted piece the connects the frame tubes together at the back of the frame. The back part of the seat base mounts also to that bar. Your Kart looks like it has the tabs for that piece. My kart has a bolt in upper steering support with Heim joint shaft mount. Your Kart looks to have that welded onto the frame. Maybe your Kart is a different year coyote. I believe they were manufactured in NY.
Pete

Rob Voska

Post by Rob Voska » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:01 am

Is it American? Don't think it's an American chassis.

Scott Kneisel
Vintage Karting items owned: '63 Rupp Grand Prix, 66 Rupp Chappy, Mc6's, Mc8, Mc10's, Mc20's
Lotsa' other Macs

Post by Scott Kneisel » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:15 pm

I am convinced that it is an Emmick kart. I have seen enough photos and detailed photos to be convinced. I think this is a very early Lightning chassis before the heim joint was used for the upper steering support. Turns out the spindles are also original, they looked homemade to me but after seeing several Emmick spindles, they all pretty much look the same so I will retain them for the restoration. This should be a real nice kart when I'm done.
Thanks all for the input,
Scott