ABOVE AND BEYOND

Post all your vintage karting messages here in the General Discussion Forum

Moderator: Rob Voska

herbert dickel
Vintage Karting items owned: sae karts

ABOVE AND BEYOND

Post by herbert dickel » Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:07 pm

Rob and Bob and everyone that showed up at the 'big one' Again and again, year after year you put on a great vintage go kart weekend. We had a great time talking and being with friends. It seems that you do everything possible to make a great weekend for everyone. Thanks, Herb and Herb Jr.

roger santee

Re: ABOVE AND BEYOND

Post by roger santee » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:07 pm

I agree it was a great weekend. My son's and I had a great time. Thanks Bob and Rob for all your hard work.
Roger

Don Distel

Post by Don Distel » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:40 am

Could'nt agree more with what Herb said above . Another great year , the only thing missing for me was a little track time , maybe next year if my body allow's it .
Thank You to everyone !!!
Don & Dan Distel

Pete Cioruch
Vintage Karting items owned: My original Rupp Grand Prix
User Agreement: Yes

Post by Pete Cioruch » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:17 am

Came to TBO without a Kart to run( I only had a sidwinder)and had a great time anyway. Came home to Canada Sunday, and went to look at a kart on KIJI that was 20 minutes from my home. Picked up a great almost complete easy restore Rupp Chapparal for $400 ,with a not great Mac 9. I thought I had gone to Heaven. I will be at TBO next rear ready to rip.
Pete

Chris Marchand
Vintage Karting items owned: to daggone many

Post by Chris Marchand » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:04 am

The TBO boys ( Rob And Bob and crew ) put on another great Kart reunion , pretty much like it was in the 60 s . The weather was perfect , the participants were the best. Can we do this again next month ? ha ha ha .

Jeff Campbell
Site Admin
Vintage Karting items owned: 1961 Fox Go-Boy MC20's
Robron Chaparral dual MC101
Margay Cheetah MKIII

Post by Jeff Campbell » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:16 pm

Rob and Bob pulled it off again, another great weekend at TBO. This year I figured I would get there earlier to avoid getting one of the last pit spaces available ... I rolled in around 9:30am Saturday and was rewarded with one of the last pit spaces available! Yes, it was packed, and this year there seemed to be many people who came to watch, learn, buy parts and wanted to get started in vintage karting.

Jeff
Attachments
CIMG0562-480.jpg
One can only admire the equipment that actually came on some of these karts years ago!
(98.92 KiB) Downloaded 810 times
TBO 2010 051crop2-480.jpg
My hopped up MC5 turned out to be a screamer and hours of lapping fun!
(95.84 KiB) Downloaded 810 times
CIMG0753-480.jpg
Dick Teal's MOST amazing Fox Mak-Kart with dual MC6 motors, it was a center piece at the evening dinner.
(142.34 KiB) Downloaded 810 times
TBO 2010 031-480.jpg
it was hard to find time to get on the track with so many parts around to rummage through, I found the MC8 block I needed!!!
(127.37 KiB) Downloaded 810 times
CIMG0641crop480.jpg
On the track we all felt about this old, maybe not the next morning though!
(85.39 KiB) Downloaded 810 times
Biggie Winner - Lapke MC10 CIMG0471-480.jpg
Bob Lapke's childhood kart, fully restored .. A True Biggie for sure!
(170.75 KiB) Downloaded 810 times
CIMG0495-crop480.jpg
Duffy made his way out to the event thanks to a ride from Lynn Haddock.
(127.6 KiB) Downloaded 810 times

Mike Reller
Vintage Karting items owned: 1961 Bantam, 1962 McCulloch

Post by Mike Reller » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:50 pm

For the first two years of my life in karting, the only brakes I knew were identical to the one you showed on Rick's 61 Bantam (also what I raced) They worked amazingly well. Maybe my memory is clouded by the fact that I can only remember how much fun it was. It may be crude by modern standards, but most of us survived. Had a great time at TBO. I'll be there next year with my restored Bantam.
Attachments
041.JPG
(1.36 MiB) Not downloaded yet

Scott Kneisel
Vintage Karting items owned: '63 Rupp Grand Prix, 66 Rupp Chappy, Mc6's, Mc8, Mc10's, Mc20's
Lotsa' other Macs

Post by Scott Kneisel » Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:38 pm

Another really great TBO. Thank you Rob & Bob, top notch job. Simple and pure vintage, just like back in the day but much more fun. It is definitely the highlight of the season for me. Rob, thanks for the entertainment last night, you have terrific kart stories, I laughed all evening.

Rick Chapman
Vintage Karting items owned: 1961 Bantam B-Bomb, 77' Hornet Enduro, 79' Hornet Wishbone Sprint, 1962 Blitz F-1000

Post by Rick Chapman » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:06 pm

Rob and Bob... Great Event and another Great Year..
I wish I could have been there Sunday, but Friday and Saturday were great.
I appreciate Jeff showing the band brake on my 1961 Bantam.
It is, along with the entire kart, completely original ( except rear axle, wheel hubs and upholstery) even the 4" tubes are original from Bantam.
And my number 1/4 has a great story, as does many other karters numbers.
This was the first brand kart I ever owned and this was the last event it will be at.
By Tuesday, it will be hanging in my basement Family Room on the wall.
Thanks for allowing me the opportunity to show this Kart off and thanks to Mike Reller and Joel Mullin for being Bantam owners who are keeping the Bantam name out there.
Now, for 2011???
We'll have to see what the winter has to offer.
Rick
I Never Thought I'd Be Vintage !!

Danny Morris
Vintage Karting items owned: Rupp Lancer GT
Rupp A Bone

Post by Danny Morris » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:11 pm

It was our first time to TBO. We were the new guys working on our karts the whole time....and pull starting the real early Lancer with a rope...hahahaaha. We had a great time because of all the great people there. It was nice to put faces to names and meet new people. Special thanks to Rick Chapman, Dave Luciani, and Wes for making us feel welcome. Everyone was helpful and willing to give advice. I met Bob Lapke...still a champion in my book....I also met Jim Donovan, owner of MaxTorque, who hooked us up with some nice clutches. I also scored some much needed vintage parts. Rob and Bob...awesome job. We'll be there next year!