Rupp Engine Mount

Post all your vintage karting messages here in the General Discussion Forum

Moderator: Rob Voska

Charles Veres
Vintage Karting items owned: 1964 Rupp Grand Prix
User Agreement: Yes

Rupp Engine Mount

Post by Charles Veres » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:52 am

I have a 1963 or 64 rupp grand prix. I bought a long swing mount (robron repro) and it is way too long to mount to the front tabs. Is this kart set up for a unimount? Could I use the other commonly available taller mount that looks shorter? I have a Mucculloch 101 that I want to use with it.
Thanks
Chuck

Rob Voska

Re: Rupp Engine Mount

Post by Rob Voska » Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:58 pm

A picture is worth a thousand words....................

Steve Suppa
Vintage Karting items owned: 1961 Mcculloch R-1

Post by Steve Suppa » Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:53 pm

I have a 1964 Grand Prix and it came stock with a Uni-Mount.

REAR

Post by REAR » Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:19 am

Charles,

Contact Robert at Robron and ask him for further assistance would be your best bet.

Good general rule of thumb when purchasing any brand or type of swing mount, motor mount, uni-mount, baseplate, etc, is to know and ask the distance from the axle centerline to the chassis tab bolt centerline.

R.E.A.R.

Scott Kneisel
Vintage Karting items owned: '63 Rupp Grand Prix, 66 Rupp Chappy, Mc6's, Mc8, Mc10's, Mc20's
Lotsa' other Macs

Post by Scott Kneisel » Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:20 pm

I have a 63 GP that was set up from the factory with a unimount. I wanted to use the long type mount so I made an adapter bracket that bolts to the unimount tab and extends over the frame tube with a tab to match the mount holes in the swing mount. It has worked like a champ for 4 years now.

It is a fairly easy conversion using 2 aluminum plates. One that lays on the unimount bracket thick enough to let the 2nd plate clear the frame tube. The second plate extends over the tube to match the length of the mount. No welding or frame mods so going back to the unimount is easy.

REAR

Post by REAR » Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:07 am

This is the photo of the factory set-up with the mounting tab facing forward for a swing mount.

A Uni-mount factory set-up will have a small flat tab welded on the back side of the cross member.

Scott has a very good solution that has proven results.

R.E.A.R.