Mc5/Mc49 crank

Post all your vintage karting messages here in the General Discussion Forum

Moderator: Rob Voska

Terry Bentley
Vintage Karting items owned: Kavalla Rupp Hornet Bug Margay Cates, Ala Kart
User Agreement: Yes

Re: Mc5/Mc49 crank

Post by Terry Bentley » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:53 pm

From a 1 3/8" strke to over 1 5/8 is going to take more material than a Mc 49 has to offer. Unless you use a quick time piston and that is wont leave much left. Your best bet is a 1 1/2 stroke with some material removed and a very tight squish. Or use a Mc 2 or chainsaw block that looks like a 49. But that would be like cheating.........is that allowed?

steveohara
Vintage Karting items owned: 1969 Bug Sprint Mc 91B1
1965 Dart Gran Prix twin Mc100s
1963 Bug Scorpion ESll Mc45

Post by steveohara » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:50 am

This thread is a perfect demonstration of why REAR has it right and VKA has lost thier way. A single make/model engine class in vintage racing is just the wrong direction to go. It hasn't even been around a year and here is a whole thread on how to circumvent the intent of the class. Where does this lead... to post race tech inspections and DQs for the guys who modify the motors. Next there will have to be minimum weights, clutch and pipe specs, fuel testing and the whole gamut of IKF and WKA headaches.
Mc 49s should be run in the sportsman class or the American made under 100cc. There is no need to take up more track time for a single make class... what next a WB 820 only class because they are bigger than any other motor and a popular choice?
I don't mean to piss anyone off or offend but I just think the idea is the wrong approach for vintage karting and will lead to more people trying to politic to stake out their own little territory with ever more specialization.
Has anyone looked at the VKA schedule for Adams??? Twelve different classes x 3 heats means the heats are only six laps and there will be one five minute practice early in the mornign for each group. If you can't make it Friday and your stuff isn't perfect first time out saturday morning you are screwed. Even if your equipment is perfect and you squeeze in every possible lap on Saturday you get to run a max of 23 laps for a nice fee of $125 and you have to be there from dawn to dusk to fit the whole program in.... sheesh!
Fewer groups and more track time sounds a lot better to me.
Too bad TBO is so far away from us left coasters.
Steve O'Hara
PS... don't tell anyone over at VKA i said this.... they might lock me out this weekend :)

Rob Voska

Post by Rob Voska » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:09 am

Please go back & reread this thread from start to finish. It started with wanting MC49 crank info and then it was brought up about running a 49 class, that quickly spiraled downward into fuel, weight, engine size, modification, tech, etc......argument. The "FUN " was sucked out of this in just a few posts. "Racing" vintage karts just don't work.

Terry Bentley

Post by Terry Bentley » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:52 am

Isnt this how it all started 50 years ago? When you got beat, then what could be done to go faster? One thing lead to another and there is IKF setting classes, rules, restrictions, engine specifications, homologation, blah, blah, blah. Would this be the result from too much of a competitive nature? Doesnt everyone want to be a winner? At any cost? Doesnt the end justify the means? If you set up any specific engine class there is always someone else wanting a class for their engine. If its for Mc49's, what about Mc5's or a dozen chainsaw clones? If 100cc or less the more competitive racers are going to go with the fastest motors they can find. Unfair to the 80, 87 and 95cc motors. If its 80cc only then unfair to the others. Where do you draw the line? Isnt that how the Mcculloch weeded out the others until the Italian motors took over? Then the Yamaha, Now the Rotax or IAME variants? Where does it stop?

david a luciani
Vintage Karting items owned: gk800 -r1 -gilson excalibar -rupp concept dual,concept,Cheetah ll, panther -Bug

Post by david a luciani » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:34 pm

wow,somebody hit a nerve there.
a good point you raised Steve.
i think the original intent of the mc49 class was to let the guys who wanted to sorta race have a affordable option and lower speed.
and it is fun to dice it out with similar performing karts.
to me keeping the mc49's at about the same performance would be neat but things being the way they are it can't last.

if you want to make it fun take that class and ad the claiming feature to it.
if some clown wants to spend a boatload on a engine to WIN he'll risk losing it at the end of the "race" to a claimer.

And Steve's right adding various classes just makes for alot of work and set times to run.
you can't be visiting a buddy or meeting people to put faces to names if you're always watching the clock for your race slot.
and forget about swap meet dickering cause that clock is ticking hurry up the race is ready to go blah blah blah.
i'm too old for that kind of b.s. when i'm trying to have fun.

at TBO there isn't any specific races.
just a set time period and style of kart if you wanna run have at it.
when my gk1200 mc91 wouldn't run i took out my little dead axle rupp with the mc49 instead.
i didn't leave that track till i ran out of fuel (about 3/4 of a gallon),my arms about fell off when i finished!!
anyway i entertained myself by beating the faster karts into the corners and making them work hard to pass me.
it was a blast.

at Scotts race in Avon by the second day we had really fast karts out there with historics.
nobody got hurt but you had to work a bit to pass the historics in the curves and everybody had fun.
anyway my point is if you add racing into the mix Sceduals and RULES are sure to follow.
and to me the RULES screwed the pooch as far as racing goes.

i much rather TBO's laidback style myself most times .
my two cents
dave

ted johnson

Post by ted johnson » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:56 pm

Well, all you "racers" out there who want to find ways to cheat in the '49er class, why not a Mac 1-92 modified to the hilt? That'd give you 6.3 C.I. to begin with! Heck, I'll bet someone could figure a way to get an Mc70 into small shrouds. Come on, guys! This is REAR, and WE DON'T RACE here. Let the Mc5's with stock stroke mix in with the 49's, and let the standard-shroud 4.9 saws run, but if you wanna race, go VKA!

Terry Bentley

Post by Terry Bentley » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:01 pm

Heres the hot ticket at any of the events. All of the guys that want to have a race between themselves, just throw some money in the hat and winner takes all. That should raise some competitive nature at the track. You can have all of the controlled practices and exhibition races, but if a few of the guys with similar equipment go at it, you know there will be a line of spectators jammed up at the fence. Just think of the priceless entertainment watching a bunch of old timers trying to out do each other. For everything else there is Mastercard. And you know none of them would ever think about cheating........

Ronald Cubel
Vintage Karting items owned: Xterminator Kart
Rathmann Kart
Exterminator Kart

Post by Ronald Cubel » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:39 pm

Have been around this most of my adult life. It goes down to this, some guys want to ride karts/vintage karts, and some guys just want to WIN no madder what they have to do. So if you get a 49 and go out and run it and someone else is faster then you the answer (american male) is just cheat? That way when they still beat you you can justify it by saying they must be cheating to beat you. GET OVER IT if you did not win when you were young you probibly will not win now even if you cheat. Just some thoughts from a guy that most of the time got 2nd place (usually behind my wife) (-: :? :? :? Ron

david a luciani
Vintage Karting items owned: gk800 -r1 -gilson excalibar -rupp concept dual,concept,Cheetah ll, panther -Bug

Post by david a luciani » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:30 pm

hey Ron,

put me down for ride.

never really tied my pride of self or anything to winning .
anywho i like the idea of a little motor sort of class so we can kinda race.
but more for playing in the corners than running a grid in a formal race.
gotta admit i have always liked beating the other drivers in the corners part of racing.

as far as putting down money we'd really get bloody then.
i know it was just a joke Terry. ;)
there are guys that HATE losing and when you ad MONEY to it are insane.
leave me outta that bones take longer to heal ever year i stick around.

dave
p.s. can we get back to discussing engines now ,, please???
D